GAME OVER argument

by johnnyc 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yet, amazingly for 7 million hostages it doesn't mean a thing.

Facts are rendered useless when confronted by the power of belief.

It doesn't matter one bit if you are under the spell of mind control. There are personal petting zoos awaiting!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Yet, amazingly for 7 million hostages it doesn't mean a thing.

How many are aware of it? I didn't realise about the change in this particular statement until I read it in an anti-JW book by an Evangelical in 1999.

Did many Witnesses notice it at the time and talk about it? If they dared talk about it openly that is.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Personally, I think there is going to be a real opportunity coming in the next few years to get this message out. After that, you will see the WT transition to more "main stream", and they will FOCUS on not ever again making statements that will come back on them like this. The only reason we still have certain statements recently is in their discussion of things previously said, or their attempt to change one of the "ticking time bombs".

A JW in 20 years will look nothing like a JW of the 80's. Their survival as a group and organization will force changes, along with the death of key monarchs holding on to past dogma and tradition. Think of the changes with regards blood, higher education, family life, children, military service (alternative), voting, etc .... all in the last 15-20 years. Once the bolts start loosening, the wheels are soon to follow.

Many of us will think this is good. The problem is that the organization should be abolished and not allowed to change into a moderate religious group. Regardless, that will not happen and the transformation will continue. Give it 100-200 years and JW's will be allowed to run for president.

All I can really effect is my family and friends. I have to leave the WT up to God and his punishment to those who knew they were acting badly (or those who sat by and did nothing to stop it).

• Wayward Son
    Wayward Son

Think of the changes with regards blood, higher education, family life, children, military service (alternative), voting, etc ....

Voting? This is new for me. Please elaborate.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Sorry, Johnnyc, but I think you're mistaken. They aren't going to become a more mainstream religion because they aren't a religion at all. They are a club for conspiracy theorists. They are all like those people who take Holy Blood, Holy Grail or Da Vinci Code or pyramidology seriously, which, as it happens, they did. For them, scripture is a secret map, the decoders of which will find the way to untold riches and power.

And, by short-circuited logic, everything proves everything else. It's why logical arguments are not generally effective on JWs, it was never about a logical argument.

Everybody thinks they've found the solution to the JW problem, the "game over" fact. They haven't. There isn't a solution. Sometimes people wake up, mostly they don't. And the reason they don't is for the same reason they chose to become JWs in the first place.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Wayward Son:

In 1999 the WT made voting a matter for individuals to decide upon themselves. Here is the info.

*** w99 11/1 p. 28 Questions From Readers *** What, though, of voting in political elections? Of course, in some democratic lands, as many as 50 percent of the population do not turn out to vote on election day. As for Jehovah's Witnesses, they do not interfere with the right of others to vote; neither do they in any way campaign against political elections. They respect and cooperate with the authorities who are duly elected in such elections. (Romans 13:1-7) As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah's Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State. (Matthew 22:21;

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Sulla :

I appreciate your viewpoint I am mistaken - and maybe time will show I am. However, I do believe very much what I am saying since the whole world is going through a time period of challenging oppressive groups and governments (ie Arab Spring). The internet age is bringing people together through information etc like never before. The internet will make the WT change everything, since you really cant get away with BS the same way you could when only the rich and powerful could produce information on a scale that could be read by the masses. Also, groups and governments are challenged with this information daily and instantly.

This site, along with all the other sites are a good example of how information like this can be brought forward like never before. I am not saying that ONLY the WT will change - I am saying EVERYONE and EVERYTHING will change. It is going to be a lot tougher to survive in this world, and have followers, being a whack job organization. If the WT stays on course, their meeting will be the size of bookstudy groups (well used to be).

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Johnnyc, I agree with Sulla. You can lead a horse to water....

• elderelite
    elderelite

Respectfully johnny, that article changed nothing. Voting is simply a DA as opposed to DF offense. Its called "non netural" activites. Voting is a witness no no.

• johnnyc
    johnnyc

Well its really just speculation on my part...nothing more. I just cant see how "ranks" will be replenished when people can get access to this sort of information so quick. The JW population is so very old, and getting worst. Maybe it is different everywhere else, but it is now a rare thing in our area that someone raised a JW will continue to be one into adulthood. Out of all my friends I was one of the last who left.

I think the rubber is meeting the road. It is just going to take 10-20 years, but I "think" real change will take place ... massive change. If you told people 10 years ago the bookstudy would be done away with, I think they would have a hard time agreeing. Will they go to meeting just on Sunday? .... personally I see massive change in the wind, and it will only get accelerated once the current GB is outnumbered with young replacements.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit