How much longer will 1914 be preached??

by OneDayillBeFree 18 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I was wondering the same. Even my awakening wife has said, "somethings gotta give in 2014 now that we are 100 years into the reign."

Despite this fact I agree with the posters who say that the Society will hold fast to the date. The past 100 years has been spent proclaiming Christ's presence. If they were to back away from it doctrinally it invalidates all of the work over the past century to advertise an event that never happened.

I was looking at the header ( Reasons for publishing) in the Watchtower magazine the other day and noted that 1914 is not mentioned anymore. Does any one know when that change was made?

SIAM

• Gayle
    Gayle

when was the last "1914" term printed (or last few) and how was it mentioned?

Can someone here do a scan on the cd, showing "1914" and 'mention' and 'amounts,' say the last 10 years specifically expressing it as the beginning of the "last days?" I know this has been done on other terms or expressions.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

when was the last "1914" term printed (or last few) and how was it mentioned?

WT Sept 1st 2011 p 9

States that Jesus cast Satan out of heaven ....." A thorough study of Bible prophesies indicate that this victory took place in heaven in or shortly after 1914"

I take it that the "shortly after" refers tp Satan's ousting after Christs victory. That mag refers in a footnote to "Bible Teach" p 216/217

" The period ended in October 1914. At that time the Appointed Times of The Gentiles ended and Jesus Christ was enthroned as God's heavenly king."

Personally, I cannot see 1914 disappearing - it would be too much for so many dubs to bear. All they need do is keep tweaking the phraseology and buy time as they go along....

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

1914 has been so much in the background for so long, it has not really been pushed as an overt doctrine for decades, the acolytes just accept it because it is spoken of as a proven, unquestionably true thing, without going into how it is arrived at.

The average JW today could not explain the doctrine in a way that was understandable, or even vaguely believable, becuase it is not stressed at meetings or conventions, just mentioned in passing.

It certianly is not "preached" to the public, I bet it never even gets a passing mention in DtoD work, the closest may be a reference to how things have changed "since 1914" but that is only referring to the start of WW1 inthe mind of the public, and the JW keeps to himself the bit about jesus sitting on a throne then.

The crafty buggers of Brooklyn have known since the 1960's, when C.O Jonson wrote to them,that the doctrine is total hogwash, and have been quietly burying it ever since.

Their problem is, if there is no 1914, there is no 1919, there is no mandate or authority for the GB today, plus they cannot put the fear of Christ up people because he ain't a comin soon to flame your ass, so they have to keep the whole thing in the background,but cannot totally let it go.

They need fear, as well as the carrot of living forever, to attract new contributors to the scam they call a religion.

• Sulla
    Sulla

The hard-core take it very seriously. I know a guy who, when buying a house in a new development, purchased the one with the address 1914. Cute. But, Sulla pater has chosen the e-mail address, [email protected]. If they change the doctrine, he will need a new address.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

1914 will not be preached for very much longer... the end is nigh, after all.

MeanMrMustard

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well how is it preached now. It was easy wehn I was studying in the 80's. we assumed those living in 1914 would live to see the end. Most of those individuals were in their 70-80's.

So now what do they preach about the end? That it's going to be soon through a series of generations that no one seems to understand? what is their message now?

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

You all have some very interesting points... I am beginning go believe that in the near future 1914 will still be mentioned, but NOT necessarily preached!

And I can see how the GB could use it to their advantage actually.

Because the older the doctrine gets, the easier original doctrines will be forgotten, and so the easier it would be for the governing body to shape, bend, and twist the meaning of that year. Who knows what new light they could bust out with in the future, it could be another year like 1934, 1984, etc!- eh sounds far fetched I know but they could end up saying that since the early 1900's, more importantly with 1914, true Christians were preaching that the last days WOULD come...

See my point?

In my mind I just dont see 1914 as a permanent date anymore.

• illoowy
    illoowy

BluesBrother: " Personally, I cannot see 1914 disappearing - it would be too much for so many dubs to bear. All they need do is keep tweaking the phraseology and buy time as they go along...."

@BluesBrother

Maybe the WTS is waiting for many older dubs to "disappear" as they age and die, then tweak the phraseology with "new light"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit