Serious discussion: Why our Brain cannot take us to God

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

I understand what you are saying, but it comes down to this.

The scientific mind cannot grasp the invisible spirit realm and its Creator because they think in terms of human logic.

When we talk about GOD we leave behind material, physical sensible "things".

That’s why God says they cannot come to fully know or understand how it works.

We no longer communicate with what we know as real, palpable, measurable reality

They are stuck in a rut of simplistic human minds.

So what He revealed is something we can’t really understand very well.

What they seek to find out scientifically does not exist on a chart or scale that they can ever come to understand.

In other words, to speak about God is talk about what you do NOT know. It is the voice of Intellect not brain.

The scientist Michael Faraday is considered to be one of the greatest physicists. When questioned on his speculations of a life after death, Faraday replied: “Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I’m resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also.”

Transcendence is our suspension bridge between imagination and the Divine.

• Terry
    Terry

We can't know all. But we can know all we need to know (need to know as in the practical applications in our lives)... by looking at Christ and His teachings about God. Sometimes we can know more, and get a grasp of some deeper things.

We have neither the brain, nor the vocabulary nor the poetry to come within an aeon of actually grasping a whiff of the fresh-baked apple pie on the Moon which is KNOWLEDGE of God.

• james_woods
    james_woods

For some reason, I cannot see a thing in this thread - only a blank first post.

It is a shame, because the title gives an interesting subject.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I am a believer in spirituality. However, I think that organized religion has totally hijacked what that should be.

There is another piece to this Terry: Unlike chef's, or musicians, there are "schools" that teach billions of people about "GOD" in some form, which prepares most people to be willing to suspend reality for the sake of their "faith".

In doing so, they also kill us all a little bit inside, because to me, we do have this need for a greater meaning in life. Organized religion has long ago realized this facet of the basic human nature and has manipulated it to their ends.

I don't mean what I say above as an attack on anyone's personal beliefs, but rather, an expression of my own. They say that the enemy of the good is the average, and the enemy of the best is the good.

We always assume as young people coming into our own that we already have the best. It was merely what we happened to be born in and around.

We do have opportunities, all of us, to examine these things and to come to our own conclusions. That is where your opinion on transendence comes into play.

I have come to my own conclusions, and one of them is, the god we talk about really shines a light more on who WE are, not on who "GOD" is.

I think our brains need to be more engaged, because data IS important. That is an important lesson for anyone who has ever had to be a JW and must now move on.

• tec
    tec

We have neither the brain, nor the vocabulary nor the poetry to come within an aeon of actually grasping a whiff of the fresh-baked apple pie on the Moon which is KNOWLEDGE of God.

Just a thought, Terry... if you don't know God (if you have not come within an aeon of grasping just a whiff of him), then how can you know enough to make this statement?

Peace,

Tammy

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I'd like to counter oppose that statement by saying our brains are really the only place to take us to god, since there is simply no other factual evidence to speak of otherwise.

• Terry
    Terry

I have come to my own conclusions, and one of them is, the god we talk about really shines a light more on who WE are, not on who "GOD" is.

My conclusion as well, young Paduan

• Terry
    Terry

Just a thought, Terry... if you don't know God (if you have not come within an aeon of grasping just a whiff of him), then how can you know enough to make this statement?

It is a statement of null set and not a statement of knowledge.

μ(N) = 0

• Terry
    Terry

I'd like to counter oppose that statement by saying our brains are really the only place to take us to god, since there is simply no other factual evidence to speak of otherwise.

Bingo!

The quest is rigged.

Try working on your Ford Pinto with Volkswagon wrenches!

That hunk of meat in our skull is a receiver for sensory, palpable, ostensible contact with what we call REALITY. It is measurable, testable and practicle.

However, the INTELLECT, on the other hand is like an intense laboratory of imagination and projection and intuition. We cannot parse which is which.

We don't know how much we are inventing and how much we are synthesizing. Where do WE leave off and when does GOD begin in our thoughts?

Impossible to use the brainmeat for that.

So, the Mystics have a field day. They charge us money and write books and build churches and we are helpless before them.

They are the ones we select to destroy the good part of our rational thinking: the brain.

• Terry
    Terry

I was just sitting here performing a little gedanken (thinking experiment) in my widdle head.

Imagine dogs could talk.

In one of our conversations our dog tells us that their hearing is so acute they can hear sounds we don't even know are there.

We acknowledge that this is true. Ultrasound is a fact of physics. We need machines to detect these sounds.

Next, the dog tells us that he can smell so many more things and more acutely we are vastly inferior in our sensory equipment.

We acknowledge this is true.

Our canine friend proceeds to inform us that dogs are waaaaay more loyal than humans are.

We agree.

Then, the dog tells us that Cats are alien beings from another planet that using Extra Sensory Perception to cause human conflict.

We blink.

We ask how this could possibly be true?

The dog calmly assures us that canines have a special sensory ability to detect these things just as they are able to do other things

humans fail to comprehend.

Should we--in such an unlikely scenario---trust Man's Best Friend?

What if that dog assures us the entire feline population is about to unite their special ESP powers to cause humanity to destroy itself in a nuclear war.

We ask frantically, "What should we do?"

The dog pauses for dramatic effect and replies: " Kill them all."

In view of the above, should we trust them and should we kill all the cats?

If "Yes", why?

If "No", why not?

What does any of this have to do with God?

Think about it. You'll see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit