Social Networking - Dangers

by IMHO 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Social networking is a danger to people who are unable to THINK for themselves.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The biggest danger is when people try and flood your message box with rubbish. Usually in the form of spam. Occasionally, someone comes along and tries placing worms in people's computers or hacks into personal data, but spam is the biggest problem. And, sometimes you can run into someone that will pry into your posts and then report it back to Brother Hounder or your employer.

• finally awake
    finally awake

IMHO, the flaw in your premise is that the user actually has control over the information they post. Once you post something, unless you have no "friends" and your account is viewable only by yourself, someone else can spread whatever you posted. Facebook can, and has been, hacked. Facebook in particular has a history of changing the default privacy settings without notice, leaving people's accounts viewable be the general public. Anytime you turn over private information to a third party, you are trusting that third party to handle it properly. It's like the notes kids used to pass in class - you were trusting that your best friend Susie wouldn't hand over the note you wrote saying "Bobby is soooo cute" - the difference is that Facebook doesn't really care about embarrassing you and Facebook will retain that note forever.

• IMHO
    IMHO

finally awake. Please explain 'the flaw in your premise' as what you say seems to be agreeing with the very points I made.

• Azazel
    Azazel

IMHO did you happen to be at a CA yesterday?

• finally awake
    finally awake

IMHO, It seems to me that you think that the fault lies with the user - too naive, too dumb to use social media "correctly". My position is that there is no truly safe, "correct" method of usage where your words cannot be tied back to you and bite you in the rear. That said, I am really cynical, more than a little paranoid, and have a long history of running off at the mouth when I should keep it shut.

• IMHO
    IMHO

Azazel - recently. I've been mulling it over.

• IMHO
    IMHO

finally awake - Thanks for the explanation. I would agree I do think the fault lies with the user. As you said yourself the only safe post are lost that you wouldn't mind appearing in the local newspaper.

Taking it from another again I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of 'users' have an egotistical tendency and like to think that everyone will be interested in what they have to say. Hence the tendency to give 'more interesting' information.

Maybe there should be education at school for children in using 'social networks'. They could be given tasks such as finding out as much as you can about the person sitting next to you using the internet alone.

• oompa
    oompa

you may wind up in bed with them...not a danger really unless they are married i guess...........oompa

• arko_n9ne
    arko_n9ne

all the dangers of social networking. i guess it helps to mention how awful the experience can be.

but quickly people forget that in recent years facebook alone has helped people more than its hurt people.

the tsunami in japan. earthquakes in china and south america. even haiti. social networking helped people find the missing or injured.

in egypt and libya it helped people organize a revolution to end tyranny. it helps small businesses and the self employed to get their name out there and make a brand out of themselves.

yes people use it irresponsibly but that is because those certain people are irresponsible. but instead of cutting off what could be a life line to those people by condemning it for its so called evils...educate.

the wts will educate over semantics of what words its people will use. it will educate over its interpretations of things. but not the internet. not social networking.

my sister in law is a witness with a facebook account. she doesnt add anyone she doesnt know. she doesnt add anyone who isnt a witness. and she keeps her profile private and restricted to those people she adds.

does this mean she is in danger to the perils of social networking.

no. she is smart about it. if the wts would take the time to instruct and ensure their chosen people were making the smart decisions instead of showing little faith in their followers there would be a world of difference in the positive for them.

if they have an issue with people going on the internet and seeing the scores of watchtower publications that can bite them in the butt then they need to openly approach that issue with their people.

tell them the views of others in the early years of the society can be found easily on the net and that it does not reflect the brighter light of jehovah and the knowledge of truth today.

that is the approach to take if they want to remain dishonest with people.

if they want to be honest then they can just admit they are not backed by the holy spirit and still find a way to convince people they are somehow still the most accurate form of truth and that they are working to nail the perfect understanding with bumps in the road along the way.

but then they couldnt disfellowship anyone. damn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit