C'mon, English friends, time to remember Joan of Arc

by aligot ripounsous 15 Replies latest jw friends

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Yesterday was Joan of Arc's 600th anniversary.

Had she failed in her mission, England would speak french by now

• cantleave
    cantleave

What a great warrior.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wasn`t she Noahs wife?..

........................;-)...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Well, Norman was French in many ways. Joan is so partisan that I feel I had no clue as to who she really was. The British had one viewpoint, the French see her differently.

I read her actual trial transcript. She spooks me. There is a major painting of her in the Metropolitan Museum of Art that is atomspheric and close to photrealism. I get the creeps looking at it. Something in it frightens me.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

BOTR maybe the two ghost like representations of her in the background?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I worshipped for many years at the Anglican Cathedral in NY which is immense. When ill, I would volunteer with hospitality for tourists. There are a number of chapels behind the main altar. It shocked me b/c the vast majority are to early English missionaries. St. Columba, St. Patrick, etc. Somehow in the middle is a chapel dedicated to Joan of Arc. Most people who worship there are of English ancestry. Some society actually brings fresh flowers to the chapel.

When I read the trial transcript, she was burned at the stake for being a woman and leading an army, wearing men's armor as much as insurrection against England.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I don't know what to think of Joan of Arc it's a very strange story.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

It is considered in France that she marks the beginning of the sense of belonging to a nation, although in her time the English and French people were very much intermingled, with about the same languages spoken in royal courts and rulers being parts of the same families. The two countries could easily have been united, thence no Yorktown, no Waterloo nor Mer el Kebir.

French historians care little about whether her "voices" were real or not, they just consider the character who mobilized French energies around the Dauphin, whom she got crowned at Reims, at one of the lowest points ever in the history of the country.

• cedars
    cedars
    Had she failed in her mission, England would speak french by now

Mon Dieu. C'est trop terrible a contempler.

Cedars

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I mean, cedars, all the riviera, French Alps, and not only Dordogne, would be English. Just imagine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit