Anyone EVER had an Elder with a beard??? I can't remember even one!

by Witness 007 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

The Elder™ who Baptized™ me had a beard. Kept it for years after that... and then was coerced into choosing between being an Elder™ and keeping his beard. Guess what was more important?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

The Elder™ who Baptized™ me had a beard. Kept it for years after that... and then was coerced into choosing between being an Elder™ and keeping his beard. Guess what was more important?

I know who you're talking about, Scully and I always felt bad for him over that...the man has his flaws but he was absolutely correct in bucking that rule for as long as he did and should have stuck to his guns over it. He may have been able to wake up and help wake up his family. Sadly, that never happened.

• cedars
    cedars

Wobble:

Today, if Jesus dressed as do the normal people, he would not be allowed to visit Bethel.

I like that! Can you imagine Jesus turning up suited, booted and clean shaven in the lobby of Watch Tower HQ reqesting an audience with the Governing Body? I think not! ....unless it was to overturn a few tables.....

Cedars

• finally awake
    finally awake

I've never seen an elder or servant with a beard. I live in the rural midwest (US). My husband prefers to wear a beard due to the ingrown hairs and irritation caused by shaving. He received a lot of "counsel" on that before he gave in and shaved. He's grown it back now.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    unless it was to overturn a few tables.....

• undercover
    undercover

I knew one elder with a beard. Very dignified looking. It lasted until the CO came 'round. After his visit, the elder was clean shaven again and remained so.

speaking of COs and beards, and I've probably told this before but it fits so here goes again...

A CO was giving a talk on obedience. Even when we don't understand the reason behind a particular rule, we should obey. He gave the example of an elder who moved to the US from Russia. This brother was an elder in Russia. And he had a beard. The brothers in his new US hall recommended him to be appointed as an elder here after recieving an exemplary letter from his former cong.

Along comes the CO. He asks the brothers, why did you recommend this brother? They said he met all the qualifications and was well reported on. What's the problem. The CO said, he has a beard. The elders, (editorial: to their credit) said there's nothing Biblical that kept him from being recommended and since he's had the beard for years, we felt it was not a problem. But it was, said the CO. Brothers serving here with a beard is just "not done". He instructed the elders to tell the Russian brother that to remain an elder he had to shave. The CO was happy to report that the Russian brother had the true obedient spirit and shaved.

I heard this back when I was still in. It stood out to me because there was no biblical reasons given...there wasn't even any practical reasons given. The lesson was simple: Obey because we tell you to obey and don't question.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Last night my wife and I watched the Danish film Worlds Apart about a young witness girl and her struggles to be true to herself while trying to maintain her religious upbringing.

For those that don't know, the film is a very accurate depiction of many of the issues of being a JW, particularly for a young born-in. One of the things that seemed odd to me here in sunny southern California was that one of the elders depicted in the film had a beard and longish hair. I thought it was strange because the film-makers went to such extremes to be accurate about everything else.

There are several threads on JWN about this movie. I read a few and was very surprised to read that--as also observed on this thread--in certain, mostly northern European, countries beards are more accepted.

When I was in I always thought it was a stupid rule, but it didn't seem like that big a deal. No I just see it as one more example of an overall pattern of manipulative control: what you can/cannot watch, read, wear, dress, groom yourself .... the list is long.

Control Freakery to the extreme!!!

• bioflex
    bioflex

Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

We had an elder with a beard in a neighboring congregation --- a really nice guy! He told me that when he was scheduled for outgoing talks, his talk coordinator would have to "warn" the other cong talk coordinator that he had a beard, and that the bodies of elders would decide whether or not they wanted him there. Needless to say, he didn't give to many outgoing talks! Our congregation was one of the few "liberal" halls that let him, and he was a great speaker.

Probably an apostate now.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am an ex elder with a beard, does that count?

I saw no beards in the 45 years going to meetings - with one exception. There was a brother who developed cancer. It was explained that he could not shave (I was just a kid, so I don't remember the details). But that was it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit