What was life like for you as a JW teenager?

by highdose 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Today's JW teenagers LOL they're probably Worse than We EVER THOUGHT OF....

"I hear Jack and Billy went to a Party at Jen's with some other sisters and brothers and it was called a Rainbow Party.... Isn't Jehovah's Org. wonderful...."

Sure Is LOL

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Undercover, did the white tee gave you a sneek peak? Lol. One of the girls I played with was wearing a white t-shirt so I was going after her. She put up a good fight, but soon I was dissapointed because she was wearing a sports bra.

As playing football goes it was really fun. I've always got stuck playing running back. Even got a couple of bruises on the ribs. But JWs take the fun out of everything.

Yep, the family outing was the convention. And family Friday night was studying the magazines or any watchtower literature.

I got away from that once I also got my car at the age of 15. I was able to leave the meetings early and skip the ministry even though I didn't have anywhere to go, it was better than staying there.

• undercover
    undercover

did the white tee gave you a sneek peak?

My first wet t-shirt contest...so to speak. And at the ripe young age of about 15. It was glorious.

The football games sometimes ended with injuries. One guy broke a leg or ankle or something. We had to take him to the hospital. I broke a rib one time. Basketball de-evolved into shoving matches and fights. One game we "allowed" a couple of 'worldly' guys to play. A fight broke out. Not the worldly guys. Two pioneers. The worldly guys broke it up and left disgusted. Said it was just a game, why get so worked up about it. Injuries and the reports of violence eventually ended the football/basketball traditions. Pesky ole elders...

The car was freedom. But even then, if you weren't in the right cliques, there wasn't always any where to go. I had just enough friends that I was able to escape the house a couple of nights a week. Otherwise it was headphones and Pink Floyd. I couldn't skip meetings or service without a third degree later. I remember one time I was supposed to be aux. pioneering but a friend and I spent Satruday afternoons going to the movies. When my parents found out I wasn't in service there was hell to pay.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I was a very lonely teen, an only child. In the KH, I was the only nerd amongst preps. I was into computers and physics, they into clothes and football. Needless to say, I was not on any female's radar.

I struggled heavily with issues of faith, the existence of God, if the Bible was True, and whether JWs were The Truth. At 17, after much deliberation, I decided for the Org. Last year, I realized how wrong I was!

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I love reading through these threads getting a picture of everybody's life. I'm thinking that a comedic coming of age movie based on a young JW's life and double life(in some cases multiple lives), is long overdue. Not a drama like World's Apart, but something more along the line of Dazed & Confused, or a PG-13 rated American Pie.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It was an awful lot like this...

http://youtube.com/v/X329f9Davbo

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Yeah I remember when I decided to stop cold on being a JW my parents took the car away for a few days thinking I would change my mind. Then they gave it back to me thinking that would change my mind. Funny.

Yeah, Pink Floyd the wall album basically interprets my teenage life.

• designs
    designs

It was the Best of Times and the Worst of Times. Best part was there were probably 2000-3000 teenagers in our District all going through High School in the mid 60s, parties every weekend, we usually hit 2-3 every Saturday night. There were 30 of us just in my own KH, we had football leagues, mountain and beach camping trips, bicycle trips, surfing trips.

Worse parts- the Vietnam War was building up and that meant Pioneering, we were told not to go to college, that killed my career ambitions. When I got into trouble with the Draft the Society threw me under the bus. At 19 I was sent to a KH and made School Overseer/Book Study conductor and Pioneering with Stalin and Lenin as my Overseers, I was in deep trouble and no one to help. I had been an alcoholic for 4 years by then and it got worse, much worse with blackouts and the whole nine yards.

Because of the Society's strict Dating standards many of my friends got married at 18-20, by 25 most were divorced and on to their 2nd mates.

1965-1975 were Orwellian times.

• ~Question With Boldness~
    ~Question With Boldness~

Yeah, the "wholesome activity" was few and far between. I remember a couple barbeques when I was younger, a "dance" if you could call it that, and a party for one of the Elder's and his wife. Oh and the house warming party for another elder and his wife when they moved...

Other than that...yeah, nothing.

I didn't hang out with any of the people my age. There were only a few and I did not much care for them, or know them well, or desire to. There were maybe four or five females my age, two disfellowshipped. One, Amber, was the sort of "double life" JW, and she was a B*t*h. The other, Elise, was nice and we actually hung out a bit at high school, we were both on the school paper, so we chatted. Beyond that, we just never did anything and I haven't seen her since I left. We weren't close. And the males...well, they were divided into two camps. The double life jock JW, who I actually liked but they usually had worldly girlfriends. Taken. And the others were very theocratic brothers, studying for their baptism and terribly excited for the chance to unwind the electrical cords. You guys know the type....

Anyway, the boys... most were actually very attractive. But like I said one half was taken, the other half, well.... I was not interested. Not that my parents didn't try... Always with the little subtle, and not so subtle comments. And the funniest part, I was already dating someone at the time. A worldly guy from my school. He had way more character dimension than any of the "brothers". If my life had been a movie, my boyfriend would have been the dashing hero, and the JW men would have been the flat, random guy you see in the background buying coffee... He was twenty times more masculine, attractive and honorable in his teenage years than any of the JW men are TODAY. When he left for boot camp (yes. Soldier. Oh, did that piss my parents off!) was about the time this mid-twenties guy started being "groomed" by the Elders. Still was a ministerial servant, but you could just TELL he would be an Elder. He was the "golden boy" of the congregation. well, I made the crappy mistake of offhandedly mentioning to my sister how attractive he was. My father overhears and started instantly with the, "maybe we should invite him to dinner" and "maybe you should go out in service with him" yadda yadda. I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. My own father, trying to pair his seventeen year old daughter with a 25-28 year old. At that age aren't the parents usually having panic attacks, "he's too old for you!" Geez.

All in all a very boring teenage life... But oh was I the most terrible daughter when I left. I didn't sleep around, smoke, drink, do drugs, run away, sneak out of the house go to wild parties. With all the vitriol and disgust they treated me with for leaving I was really tempted. Heck, I'm getting treated like I've done all this crap might as well go have the fun too....

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'm in the BOTR camp---- "Utter horror" best describes my experience as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit