What does "everlasting life" mean?

by N.drew 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• N.drew
    N.drew

John 3:16

I'll just say that the way I understand it is I am existing in it, it is not existing in me.

166 ( ai?nios ) does not focus on the future per se , but rather on the quality of the age ( 165 /ai?n ) it relates to. Thus believers live in " eternal ( 166 /ai?nios ) life" right now , experiencing this quality of God's life now as a present possession . (Note the Gk present tense of having eternal life in Jn 3:36, 5:24, 6:47; cf. Ro 6:23.)]

So then John 17:3 does not mean a believer gets to live forever but that they dwell in forever. Now.

I might add that I think it possible to have life indefinite, but that is not what I'm asking.

We might try to remember that it is TRADITION that blocks the way. Doesn't it?

Asked another way; is the "everlasting life" at John 3:16 and John 17:3 a reward or an assignment? I believe it is an assignment.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I agree . . . everlasting life is an assignment.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Eternal life is a gift. The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (Romans 6:23 if I remember correctly as I`m not at home and without a Bible).

Whoever has the Son, has life...I Jn.5:13...because Jesus Himself, who is THE LIFE, indwells us by His Holy Spirit.

Goto run.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Romans 6:23 The "gift" is Jesus who has everlasting life. He shares it!

• N.drew
    N.drew
    Whoever has the Son, has life...I Jn.5:13.

1 John 5:13 Yes. It is Jesus who will dwell in believers. He is not equal to everlasting life. It is something he has. Whoever has the son CAN have life. You might have the son, but not the life.

• N.drew
    N.drew

But you can't have the life without the son.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I seem to remember some Bible translations rendering the term as "abundant life."

When I first entered into the JW Indoctrination Program that they like to call a "Free Home Bible Study", a Methodist Minister came around to try and talk some sense into me. One of the things he emphasized was this:

- upon "taking Jesus Christ into ones life", a person there and then receives abundant life.

Unfortunately for me, it was already to late to register!

Bill.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

<<You might have the son, but not the life.>>

Can't agree there Bro.

1Jo 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
    1Jo 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
    1Jo 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Whoever has the Son, has life...because the life eternal is in the Son. It's only those without the Son who are without that life.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Bill, it's never too late.

Act 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Joh 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

And you are right. Jesus came to give us abundant life (fruit of the Spirit i.e. joy, peace, love etc.) inspite of life circumstances.

It's never too late to have joy.

Vander

• N.drew
    N.drew

OK I should say you can believe you have the son, and profess the son and act like the son, but have no life everlasting.

So what is it Vanderhoven in your opinion? What is the everlasting life that comes with having the son?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit