what is the history of this site?

by tornapart 13 Replies latest jw friends

• tornapart
    tornapart

Hi, I just wanted to know as I came here believing it is an 'anti-JW' site. Or at least one where former JWs can meet together (or ones struggling within the WT). Yet looking at some early posts it seems it was originally for active JWs. What happened over the years? Has anyone been here long enough to see the changes?

• cedars
    cedars

I'm fairly new here myself, but as far as I can gather, the site owner Simon was a JW when he started this site, but he gradually realised that he was in a cult. I guess that's an inevitable outcome if you're going to expose yourself to objective information on JWs by means of an online forum. Once he realised what was going on, the forum followed suit.

Cedars

• dontplaceliterature
  • diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

use search above and type in:

My-life-and-how-JWD-came-to-be

• blondie
  • tornapart
    tornapart

Thanks very much everyone!

• red21
    red21

Based on all the whining I am seeing here, I think I still perfer ExJehovahsWinessesForum on Yuku. Seems more adult oriented conversations and has been divisions of different types of discussions. I better stop for those that have left the organization. This site is just to full of BS at times.

• trueblue
    trueblue

don't worry about Who's Drivin: Train Kept 'a Rolling All Night Long - YouTube

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes,s there is much BS here. So is it in contrast to the WTBTs which has no whining. My gut reaction at first was that members, after a short while, should move on to a normal life. If you are obsessed by the WTBTS, it dominates your life as much as when you are an active Witness. I came here from a link on the discussion page at wikipedia. I saw only two threads that held any interest. Posting was a joke. Well, now I've been here one year. Venting is important. I've learned some factual details but the most driving force for me was sensing the universality of the JW experience. What hurt me hurts others.

I left decades ago but b/c I was born-in, the years were crucial ones to me. My sense of being utterly powerless was so acute. I want to wind down a bit. My initial judgment and my involvement since then indicates there is a difference between my intellect and psyche. If JWs were a mainstream religion, it would be easy to find fellow refugees. This is only possible b/c of the Internet. I was so thick I never thought a dissident group might be online.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Based on all the whining I am seeing here, I think I still perfer ExJehovahsWinessesForum on Yuku. Seems more adult oriented conversations and has been divisions of different types of discussions. I better stop for those that have left the organization. This site is just to full of BS at times.

Then I would vote with my feet, red21 (well, technically - with my fingertips).

Well, now I've been here one year. Venting is important. I've learned some factual details but the most driving force for me was sensing the universality of the JW experience. What hurt me hurts others.

One other reason to be here (if you left decades ago, like BOTR and myself) - is to help others. I have found at least one person on this site who I have helped along the path out of JW slavery face to face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit