Young People Ask . . . March 2012 Awake

by sizemik 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Roski
    Roski

nice_Dream

That quote gives me the same warm fuzzy feeling as the thread about the old paradise book.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Melissa

Sure, you can try to be just like every other kid at the kingdom hall. But that’s so boring! Being normal makes you stand out in a good way. It doesn’t make you weird. It makes you likable.

I used to feel unpopular at the meetings, but then I’d go to school and be with friends who loved me for who I was. At that point, any interest I had in winning the approval of my witness mates would fade away.

cuts both ways Watchtower! And my kids prove it...stick that up ya collective anal sphincters.

Oz

Ashley

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

This article was probably written to make JW parents feel o.k. about pushing their children into the religion; but the average born-in kid would see this as a crock straight away IMO.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Oh god.... My sons mother was pushing him to read that yesterday.... Glad he walked away ;-)

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

poor kids

• its_me!
    its_me!

Broken Promises--- I appreciate your point about being an outsider in the congregation. JW teens can be very cliquey, as can the adults! I feel so badly for the people who are in the Org. who do not feel like they fit in at the Kingdom Hall or out in the broader world. What a lonely life. I felt this way when I was in. That was a very dark time for me, and I began to contemplate suicide. By nature I am a very positive thinking person, an optimist. When I began thinking dark thoughts of death and relief through suicide, I knew it was time to get the hell out of there. I hope that teens and adults who feel rejected and out of place in the Org. will contemplate the things in this article and come to the conclusion that a change in their lives is needed.

• its_me!
    its_me!

Sizemik--- Thank you for this post. I find it hard to believe that those comments by the supposed JW teens were geniune as well.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I really feel for the kids...sad.

• sizemik
    sizemik

My boys were 16, 11 and 8 when we ditched the JW's. I have to be honest . . . when reading and hearing shit like this I thought nothing of it. It all seemed reasonable enough. Things are different now of course and I feel very guilty as to the pressures I was placing them under.

Baptism was always going to be a personal decision for them . . . and after seeing this more clearly and considering their point of view . . . I doubt any of them would have. In fact the eldest has said as much. Water under the bridge now.

@Broken Promises - I noted also the use of the word "Christian" in favour of "Jehovah" or "Jehovah's Witness" In fact the word "Christian" appears 4 times; "Jesus" - 5 times; "Bible" - 6 times; but "Jehovah" only once (when quoting scripture) and the term "Jehovah's Witness" is not used at all. It seems to be a silent acknowledgement that to be viewed as a "Christian" is preferable to being a "JW" and so use the generic term to sweeten the message. I showed the article to my son who responed by saying how totally out of touch with reality the article was.

@Butterflyleia85 - The article does attempt to concentrate on engendering a sense of superiority and elitism, and paints "worldly" youths as either people pleasers or bullies. I've no doubt this boost of esteem works with many youths.

@punkofnice - I don't think I ever had a JW acquaintance who "loved me for who I was" You're right, it's a joke. Most JW's don't know who they really are . . . let alone anybody else. Cliques usually form around a mutual level of hypocrisy with JW youths . . . and reject or even dob in anyone outside the group.

@carla - It almost seemed out of place in the article didn't it? I agree with you . . . most of the public do not see JW's as "Christian" but as fundamentalists . . . Jehovah's Witnesses . . . which they are of course.

@Iamallcool - Your experience is probably typical, especially for an Elders son. They take away a lot from young ones don't they? I trust you get to do some hoops nowdays.

@Nice_Dream - Yes I do remember that song (along with all the rest LOL). The segregation of youths from their peers like this is an awful burden to put on adolescents . . . at such an important stage in their life.

@Ziddina - Double-bind indeed. Acknowledging that being JW and separate will not make for popularity . . . it recommends being even more JW and more separate as a solution! Even I'm not sure what the article's rationale is . . . to youths it can't make a lot of sense. They know first hand what it is that makes them popular or otherwise . . . and it aint being a JW at school!

@Roski - I take it there's a sarcastic element to your warm and fuzzies?

@Aussie OZ - Brilliant . . . I never thought to transpose . . . but your reversed rendition is way more truer than the original. Ensure full inflation before insertion.

@transhuman68 - You're right. It probably would have made me feel better as a JW parent. But yes. . . my lad just laughed scornfully at it.

@elderelite - Your son is showing good judgement . . . hopefully headed for the 70%

@Found Sheep - Yep, it's a hell of a load. More than the article implies, or the writers believe.

@its_me! - So true. My eldest boy was not popular with the other JW youths in our last congo. Being JW he was not popular at school either. I think at times he was very lonely for company his own age. He was befriended by another JW youth who was very popular and it made a huge difference in him. Sadly that friend suicided when he was 17 . . . it devastaed us all but particularly my son. We left soon after.

@Mad Sweeney - I get very emotional when contemplating what youths have to endure for this religion. The article's demands are a life wrecker for many.

If there are any JW youths visiting the board, we would all like you to know we feel for you and understand the unfairness of having to bear such a heavy load. Take heart young friends . . . there will come a way out, so hang in there for now. Your friends at school don't need to know your JW or need to be preached at, so don't feel guilty AT ALL. Just play it cool for now until the time comes, and whatever you do DON"T GET BAPTISED until you are convinced it is what YOU want . . . not what Mum and Dad want . . . this is YOUR life . . . and it lasts a whole lifetime. Be free.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@sizemik: well done

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit