Young People Ask . . . March 2012 Awake

by sizemik 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sizemik
    sizemik

I read very little WTS propaganda these days, even on-line stuff . . . unless it's for a specific purpose. Most of you will identify with that.

I perused this article while checking out something else and was disturbed by the manipulative reasoning directed at JW youths. Of course, I wouldn't see it in the same light when I was JW . . . but this article seems to really mess with young minds, setting them up for difficulties.

Some of the reasoning is very specious and downright misleading. You can check out the PDF here if you haven't already. Here's a few examples that stood out for me . . .

Fill in the word that completes the following statement:

It is ____ good to be popular.

A. always

B. sometimes

C. never

The correct answer is “B.” Why? Because to be popular simply means to be liked by a lot of people—and that’s not always wrong! The Bible foretold that Christians would be “a light of the nations” and that people would be drawn to them. (Isaiah 42:6; Acts 13:47) In that sense, it can be said that Christians are popular.

Even with the Biblical calisthenics . . . "Christians" (JW's in this context) ARE POPULAR! People are drawn to JW's like moths to a flame. WTF?

The thing that really got me was the article's use of peer pressure through quotes from various JW youths, as a way of negating peer pressure from worldly youths . . . rather than a simple cost-benefit treatment of the subject. Realising the danger of youth peer pressure . . . they use the very same tactic themselves to load their own message emotionally . . .

Melissa

Sure, you can try to be just like every other kid walking down the school hallway. But that’s so boring! Being a Christian makes you stand out in a good way. It doesn’t make you weird. It makes you likable.

Ashley

I used to feel unpopular at school, but then I’d go to a Christian meeting and be with friends who loved me for who I was. At that point, any interest I had in winning the approval of my school mates would fade away.

Does anybody see the obvious contradiction in these two quotes . . . not to mention the opening paragraph?

Why introduce the thought of being seen as weird? . . . because it DOES make you weird that's why. And I don't recall the hallways at school being choked with popular and likeable JW's acting weird and different. The second quote is not about being popular . . . it's about feeling popular . . . and how do you achieve that? . . . yeah, run along to the KH where you are liked by the other JW youths. (Ahem)

I dunno . . . it just got under my skin this article. Young JW's are so pressured. A reasonable level of peer acceptance is vital to the development of a balanced youth. Although no longer a personal problem . . . being a father of three youths just made me feel awful for the young JW's. They're being used in a them v us game at great cost to themselves.

And of course I don't believe the quotes are genuine . . . that's totally unnecessary.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Sorry about the formatting . . . borrowed laptop.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

but then I’d go to a Christian meeting and be with friends who loved me for who I was

Two things that jumped out to me from this quote:

1. They call a JW meeting a "Christian meeting" - why are they shy to call it a JW meeting? Because we all know that no one is saved by going to Christian meetings. Only JW meetings.

2. How would a JW kid who is an outsider in his own congregation/circuit feel when he reads that? Teenage JWs are notoriously cliquey. Hopefully it will convince him that the JWs don't have "the truth" and leave.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

omg wow that is interesting they even mention being popular. but i do recall when i was a jw sayin that exact same thing... that being popular in school never really bothered me. i liked feeling like i had a gift from god no one else had. i felt being a jw was a gift and only a few had it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I’d go to a Christian meeting and be with friends who loved me for who I was.

Until he makes a 'mistake'. Then let the shunning begin!

This article was written by what Christopher Hitchens would have called a 'fascist crack pot!'

'Christian'? Baloney

'Friends'? Baloney again

'Who loved me for who I was'? Phwaaaaaaaaaaaaah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• carla
    carla

What is so weird about the whole thing from an outsiders viewpoint is that I don't know anybody who considers jw's Christians except the jw's themselves.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I’d go to a Christian meeting and be with friends who loved me for who I was.

Translation :

I have to go to the kingdum hell or else! I'm not liked by the elder's kids who stick together in their gang. I'm trapped in a cult.
  • Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

My JW Dad(elder) told me when I was a teenager that is not good to be popular or I will be spoiled by bad associations. My Dad would not even let me play high school basketball which I was very good at it. I was facing alot of peer pressure to play basketball for my high school. I cried my heart out to my Dad to let me play basketball. My Dad say NO WAY!

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Wasn't there a song in the previous songbook with a line about not being popular? Anyone remember that one?

I found it, "But to be popular never do toil, for bad companions good habits will spoil." Ah, the memories...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Double-bind communication...

Guaranteed to confuse the convert/born-in and make them easier to manipulate...

"It is B. - sometimes - good to be popular..."
    "Did you know? Jesus was popular. .... Jesus wasn't seeking glory or pursuing popularity...Jesus simply did what was right... At the same time, Jesus realized that any approval he won from the often-fickle [flip-flopping???] public would be temporary. He acknowledged that in time people would put him to death!!"

Sooooooooooo.............

Be "popular" by sticking to Watchtower Corporation's principles, but expect to be PUT TO DEATH at any time!!! The "GREAT TRIBULATION" could start ANY MINUTE!! "ARMAGEDDON" is coming - GAWD may DESTROY you if you're too "popular" with WORLDLY people!!!

Yeahhhh.... That's "double-bind" communication, all right... Make 'em feel happy and excited and scared, all at once...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit