Letters to a friend about the memorial:

by ShadesofGrey 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I think I might be ready to let you know one of my questions. I have not asked my parents about this. I am afraid of what they might do.

I tried to invite a friend to the memorial and she objected, saying that every Christian should partake of the emblems because every Christian should be born again.

In answer Jesus said to him: “Most truly I say to you, Unless anyone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”--John 3:3

So I started researching it. I have no answer for her. Here is a bit of what I found.

14 On one occasion Jesus said to the Jews that they would “see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but [they themselves would be] thrown outside.” (Luke 13:28) The “great crowd” of earthly survivors of “the war of the great day of God the Almighty” will be favored with the privilege of literally seeing the resurrected “Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets” back here on the Paradise earth and in royal service under the Kingdom of God by the “Eternal Father,” Jesus Christ.—Revelation 7:9, 14; 16:14; Isaiah 9:6.-- 8/15/1989 Paradise Restored Glorifies God

You are familiar with the scripture that is used to explain how the anointed know that they should partake?

For YOU did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but YOU received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!” The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.-- Romans 8:15-17

Look at the context.

For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those in accord with the spirit on the things of the spirit. 6 For the minding of the flesh means death, but the minding of the spirit means life and peace; 7 because the minding of the flesh means enmity with God, for it is not under subjection to the law of God, nor, in fact, can it be. 8 So those who are in harmony with the flesh cannot please God.--Romans 8:5-8

So I searched this on my Watchtower CD. I found reminders to walk by spirit.

Quote:

If we let God’s spirit guide us, we will not be overcome by improper fleshly desires.—Romans 8:2-10.

2 As we “keep walking by spirit,” God’s active force will motivate us to obey Jehovah. We will display godly qualities in our ministry, in the congregation, at home, and elsewhere. The spirit’s fruitage will be evident in our dealings with our marriage mate, our children, our fellow believers, and others.-- Watchtower 7/15/07 Will you keep walking by Spirit?

Quote:

To persist in doing Jehovah’s will, we need to put on the Christian personality and to live by the spirit, not the flesh. (Romans 8:4-8; Colossians 3:10, 12, 14) Having Jehovah’s view on the matter will enable us to carry on with our vital spiritual activities.—1 Corinthians 16:13.-- Watchtower 8/1/95 The Rewards of Persistence

Quote:

Have I set my mind on “the things of the flesh,” rather than on “the things of the spirit”?’ (Romans 8:5-8)-- Watchtower 10/15/01 Who will Separate us from God's Love

So as Jehovah's people, we are admonished to walk in the spirit as stated in Romans 8:8

However, YOU are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in YOU. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him.--Romans 8:9 by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!” The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children.

So we are supposed to have enough spirit to walk in it, but not enough to be God’s children and partake at the memorial?

So I start reading everything I can on the memorial, partaking, being born again, and there are more and more questions without answers.

1 John 5:1 Everyone believing that Jesus is the Christ has been born from God.

John 1: 12 However, as many as did receive him, to them he gave authority to become God’s children, because they were exercising faith in his name; 13 and they were born, not from blood or from a fleshly will or from man’s will, but from God.

1 John 2:29 everyone who practices righteousness has been born from him. 3:1 See what sort of love the Father has given us, so that we should be called children of God; and such we are. 10 The children of God and the children of the Devil are evident by this fact: Everyone who does not carry on righteousness does not originate with God,

Romans 8 and 1 John 3 only have two classes of people, and only one class of Christians. Then I noticed the wheat and the weeds parable is the same way. Two classes of people and all of the wheat are said to be in the Kingdom of their Father.

I also took a look at the scriptures we read at the memorial:

1 Corinthians 11:25, 26 23 For I received from the Lord that which I also handed on to YOU , that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was going to be handed over took a loaf 24 and, after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body which is in YOUR behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as YOU drink it, in remembrance of me.”

“As often as you drink it.” But we are told not to drink it. “Drink out of it, all of YOU ; 28 for this means my ‘blood of the covenant,’ which is to be poured out in behalf of many for forgiveness of sins.” Matthew 26:28 So if we don’t drink it, we aren’t part of the New Covenant?

“The great crowd of other sheep that is forming today is not in that new covenant.”—Watchtower 4/1/1979 Then we don’t have forgiveness of sins?!!!

1 Corinthians 11:26 “For as often as YOU eat this loaf and drink this cup, YOU keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives.” Didn’t he arrive in 1914?

This is too much. It must be resolved before the next Memorial.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I think that they are keeping people away from a relationship with God by teaching that only 144,000 are God's Children with the Holy Spirit to guide them. Romans chapter 8, Matthew 13, 1 John 3 only have two classes of people and if they are not Children of God, they are not part of God's people at all. As a result, the Great Crowd has no mediator, no Heavenly Father, and no hope. I also see that if one is a Child of God, then one is part of the kingdom covenant as well.

1 John 5:1 Everyone believing that Jesus is the Christ has been born from God,

Romans 8:8,9,16 8 So those who are in harmony with the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, YOU are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in YOU. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him.

YOU received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: “Abba, Father!” 16 The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Galatians 3:28,29 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for YOU are all one [person] in union with Christ Jesus. 29 Moreover, if YOU belong to Christ, YOU are really Abraham’s seed, heirs with reference to a promise.

“But sanctify the Christ as Lord in your hearts.”--1 Peter 3:15

His name should therefore be sanctified, or set apart as holy. -- Watchtower 1991 9/15 p. 7

…the title “Christ” means “Anointed One” --Watchtower 1969 1/1 p. 29

"First, though, these anointed Christians needed cleansing. As Malachi 3:1-5 had foretold, Jehovah God and his 'messenger of the covenant,' Jesus Christ, came to inspect the spiritual temple in the spring of 1918." Watchtower 1993 5/1 p. 15

Religious history is also full of charismatic leaders who inspired people to be devoted to them but who brought disaster upon their followers. “Be careful that no one misleads you,” warned Jesus, “for many men will come in my name saying ‘I am the Christ’, and they will mislead many.” (Matthew 24:4, 5, Phillips)—Watchtower 1998 2/15 p. 23

"The book YouMaySurviveArmageddonintoGod’sNewWorld, released last June, and the article “Jehovah Is in His Holy Temple,” published in the November 15 English issue of TheWatchtower, prove that Jehovah came accompanied by his Angel of the covenant, Jesus Christ, to the spiritual temple in the spring of 1918."--Watchtower 12/15/55 p. 748

Matthew 24: 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

I have decided to listen to Jesus instead of the Jehovah's Witness Governing Body.

1 John 2:27 And as for YOU, the anointing that YOU received from him remains in YOU, and YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU; but, as the anointing from him is teaching YOU about all things, and is true and is no lie, and just as it has taught YOU, remain in him.

23 He that confesses the Son has the Father also

Galatians 5:4;1 YOU are parted from Christ, whoever YOU are that try to be declared righteous by means of law; YOU have fallen away from his undeserved kindness. For such freedom Christ set us free. Therefore stand fast, and do not let yourselves be confined again in a yoke of slavery.

• moshe
    moshe

Putting aside the issue of who should partake- the WT is celebrating the memorial on the wrong day- it should be Nisan 15 not Nisan 14-

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/209027/1/I-called-the-KH-the-Memorial-is-tomorrow-night-right

• designs
    designs

By listening to Jesus of the Gospels you are being indoctrinated into a slew of anti-semitic propaganda.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I have decided to listen to Jesus instead of the Jehovah's Witness Governing Body.

A very wise decision, dear Shades (the greatest of love and peace to you!)... and very well reasoned. One thing that I feel needs clarification: partaking is NOT an indication of an anointing, per se. Those who have received holy spirit DO partake, yes. However, many partook... and do partake... BEFORE receiving an anointing. The Apostles did (partook first at the evening meal, then received holy spirit when our Lord appeared to them after his resurrection - John 20:22). In the same way, many in the earth partake... including the WTBTS GB, RCC Pope, and others. Doesn't mean they're chosen, though.

Remember, many are called; few, though, are chosen.

Again, very wise choice... and I am VERY happy for you that you made it. You will find yourself "happy", too!

Again, peace to you, dear one!

YOUR servant and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Thanks for the link Moshe. I love it.

SA, I will read more of your thoughts later. My son is wrestling the computer from me. But, suffice it to say for now that those letters were written to a JW with an assumed JW understanding of partaking.

My love to you all,

Carmen

• bob1999
    bob1999

"So we are supposed to have enough spirit to walk in it, but not enough to be God’s children and partake at the memorial?"

Great question.

The WTS wants you to believe that the "great crowd" is saved by being part of, and staying close to, the organization that is supposably being lead by the 144,000

The only problem with that, that's not what the bible says.

No where in the bible is salvation found anywhere except through Christ and being "in Christ".

The WTS clearlly says that the great crowd is not part of the New Covenant but the bible clearly says that it is only those in the New Covenant that are saved.

A person is either "in Christ" or they are not. "In Christ" means salvation, not "in Christ" means not saved.

Romans 6

" 1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with,that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died [died to sin, baptized into Christ, buried with him, united with him, crucified with him, not died in a physical way as the WTS would have you believe] has been set free from sin."

8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8

" 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death."

The only biblical way to be saved is to be in Christ. There are not two saved classes as the WTS would have you believe.

Peace

• AGuest
    AGuest
    those letters were written to a JW with an assumed JW understanding of partaking

My apologies, dear Shades (peace to you!). Although I did read your title, I totally forgot it was about letters to another as I was reading. So my context may appear "off" as I was directing my comments to you (versus maybe the recipient of the letters). Sorry for the confusion.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Carmen,

The little flock refers to the Jews and the other sheep are us Gentiles :)

John 10:16

English Standard Version (ESV)

16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.
    Romans 1:16

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
    Ephesians 2:11-22

One in Christ
    11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands— 12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed inordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, 16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. 17 And he came and preached peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. 22 In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. Blessings in Christ, Stephen
  • designs
    designs

bob, stephen-

The New Testament can say or makeup whatever its authors, the Bishops, wanted to state in their new Religion. Bishops wanting to make their guy, Jesus, into whatever God or Hybrid-God they had in mind was purely their own imagination and political ambition at work.

There are so many false statements and false assumptions about Judaism just in Romans it ought to be used for lighting BBQs and not much else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit