Do you want/expect your kids to take care of you when you're old?

by GoingGoingGone 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

GGG ....my feelings would be hurt too if my children said that to me (they can think it ,but just never say it to me ) I would hope one of them would offer me a room if or when the need arises .

My Mother in law feels just the opposite ,she has said no matter what she will not live with any of her kids in her old age ( happy,happy,joy,joy for me ). No honestly I would want to help her ,because i am a kind and generous person (that usually lacks good judgement ).

****Commune idea **** My best friend has said this for yrs . We are all in our fifties and her idea is we have our own nursing home and take care of each other and pool our funds . I already told her I AM NOT CHANGING DIAPERS !

• mind blown
    mind blown

My heart goes out to you... that was a terrible thing to say....

I'm hoping your daughter is still very immature, and as she herself ages, she will have more compassion for you and her father. I'm glad you spoke up and I hope you continue to do so. When nothing is said, it's almost gives the other an excuse to think it's ok, when in fact it is not.

It's a fact that the aged will eventually need help. I feel so bad for those who are aged, mentally or physically ill who have no one.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I expect to take care of my Mom when she needs me. We already do stuff to help her out. But it's nothing that really costs me money - just time and effort. I don't know that I will ever be in a place financially that I could afford to support a second household. My guess is that your kids are only thinking in terms of financial help, and you are really wanting emotional support and hands on practical help. When I was younger, it never really registered with me that my Mom would need someone to climb a ladder and change the security light bulb, or fix a leaky faucet, or replace a toilet valve. I guess I just thought she was invincible.

• oompa
    oompa

ouch....only read your post GGG....hardly ever do that....but it hit a nerve....so so sorry...that is just not right....no kid should think ahead that far and tell you anyway....wtf?????....sorry....i will catch up later but it just pissed me off...no parent would ever want to ask....no kid would either but look how many are coming home after college...or after a job loss because they NEED their parents....and yours could be the same....but noooooo they only think of themselves now.....sorry...just pathetic....now i am probably screwed....so hope i did not offend....just feelin real tonite....oomps

• oompa
  • Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

well... have no kids so I'd say no to that... ok with it to be honest

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

but to be honest neither of my parents cared for me when I was a child so don't feel too obligated to care for them.... is that a bad thing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit