March 1st WT

by undercover 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover

There's an article in the new public edition entitled, "Should You Trust Your First Impressions?"

In the article there's the sub-headings, "Judging by Appearance" and "Appearances Can Be Deceptive"

The main import of the article is to impress upon the non-JW to not pre-judge JWs based on pre-convieved notions. Just as some rejected Jesus as Messiah based on prejudgemental ideas, one should not lose the chance at everlasting life at rejecting the message from your friendly neighborhood cult member.

Also in this issue, in a fit of hubris, the WTS has created a series of articles that are designed to enlighten the reader about the "Marks of True Christianity", with article names as bold as "Are All 'Christians' Christian?". The import of this series of articles, of course, to point out the JWs are the "True Christians".

I'm sure that these articles will be well dissected and exposed in other threads and comments but after seeing the article about trusting first impressions, the illustration placed above the article heading, "Are All Christians Christian" struck me as a psychological ploy to cause the JW reader to stereotype all other "Christian" denominations as false.

Here's the illustration... Whatdyathink?

• designs
    designs

Interesting. One old CO, Billy Ford, would remind us to 'Hate' the very sight of a Church when we drove by one

• Gayle
    Gayle

Clearly, their "us and them" illustration!!

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

After years of analyizing the pictures in the publications, especially for the WT study, I note this:

NONE of the others (can you gues which one is not like the others, Sesame Street song playing in my head, but I digress) anyway, NONE of the others have a BIBLE. Meaning that they don't use the Bible, or misuse it, or some such. The JW is the only one holding (thus properly using) the scriptures. Or maybe he's holding a Proclaimer's book...... ha.

Also, they are all standing in front of their giant fancy buildings, buildings which prominently display a cross, while the JW stands in front of..... nope, no giant WT buildings, just some blurry shadow, though he is pictured as standing in a path of LIGHT, while the others stand in shadows and are in comparative darkness.

Wow, I should be at that WT study, LOL. ;)

- Muddy

PS -- not to change the subject, but HOW in the world do I change my avatar?

• bohm
    bohm

MW: Also notice how rarely you see a worldly person smile vs. a witness in the illustrations.

The two fishermen illustrations in the march WT are extremely gag-inducing.

you can change the avatar on http://en.gravatar.com/ :-)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

They are slyly driving a wedge between JWs and 'worldly'(TM) folk. Again they promote the US vs: THEM seige mentallity. And you know what? You can be one of 'us'...........just look how cuddly wuddly we are!

I notice they equate themselves with Jesus in the appearance article. IMHO this is 'mystical manipulation'. I haven't read it but from what you say that's my impression.

I can imagine all the 'public edition'(TM) lovey dovey ear tickling and 'theocratic warfare'(TM) to drag newbies into the cult.

I am totally underwhelmed by the WBT$ and it trotting out the same old stuff.

Oh, well, as I always say: 'Stay alive 'til '75'.......how happifying(TM)!

• sabastious
    sabastious

The Witnesses are just as ritualistic and brandy as any of those depicted in the image. You could easily add a man with a book bag and suit to complete the illustration.

-Sab

• wasblind
    wasblind

I say beware of the Jehovah's Witness that come to your door

wit a fake azz smile, pretendin' to be happy as hell, with a prescription

of anti- depressants in their medicine cabinet at home.

And don't forget they now have two separate editons of kool-aid ( mags )

one for the public ( sweeten ) and one for them ( unsweetened )

they have some nerve

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The word Christian come from the Greek word for "Follower of Christ". Therefore, there is no such things as a "Christian religion". You are either a follower of Jesus or you are not.

Prior to the term "Christian" Jesus' followers were referred as people who followed "The Way". "The Way" referred to the fact that it was a way of life. This means followin Jesus teachings is similiar to the way Buddhists follow Buddha's teachings.

Jehovah's Witnesses are not Christians because, in order for that statement to be true, they would all have to be following Jesus' teachings. If just one person who identifies him or herself as a Witness and lives a life not in harmony with Jesus the entire group cannot be rightfully called Christian. Jesus never taught that his teachings were a named religion.

Here are some additional questions to ask ourselves:

1) How many Kingdom Halls did Jesus build and teach from?

2) What new publications did Jesus produce for his followers to use in teaching?

3) What name did Jesus give his followers to seperate themselves from those who did not follow him?

• wobble
    wobble

Good points.TBK, Jesus gave no name for his followers, but Acts says that "by divine providence" they came to be known as "Christians", probably recognising the fact that had this not happened, a more derogatory term would have been coined by non believers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit