The Governing Body was at the meeting tonight

by wannabefree 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701

I went to my first service meeting this week on the invitation of a Witness friend. (I have never been a Witness, myself)

I agree that the "Governing Body" received a lot of mention in those few paragraphs in discussion of Acts 15. The thing that struck me most was the discussion of Cornelius in Acts 10. He was held up as a righteous person. Imagine, a centurion from an occupying army being considered a devout man. There's no mention of Peter telling him that he really should give up the army life in order to be acceptable to God. Cornelius may well have, scripture doesn't say. I wondered if that fact may have been collectively and conveniently by-passed.

Forgive me if I am going off topic but I've often wondered about Christ's words in John 18:36

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. • But my kingdom is not from the world.”

I've seen this as a prohibition from Jesus about using force to fight for the advancement or preservation of the kingdom of God. But can this be used as an all out prohibition against fighting for any other "kingdom"? Jesus seems to say that his servants would fight under certain circumstances. He didn't say his servants would never fight. Fighting can take many forms, you can fight on a battlefield, you can fight within a legislature for laws or someone's rights. Is there a Witness prohibition against being a Police Officer? I believe they have to "fight" every now and then.

It was an interesting experience. I'm glad I got the opportunity to go.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Just more of the ostentatious self supporting propaganda that the WTS. hierarchy tries their best to indoctrinate people with.

Power and control can be elusive if one doesn't take direct action to maintain it.

The Governing Body of the Mormon church has much to say about themselves too.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    One elder called the GB 'the voice of Jehovah'

That is disgusting. So are they the holy spirit now?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Oh there's an elder in our local congo who thinks the same - that the GB are the voice of God, that God and/or Jesus writes the literature (even the KM!). And he bangs on about how magnificent the Org. is all the damn time. You don't know whether to first thump him or throw up at such idolatrous expressions.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

NCC-1701 wrote:

Is there a Witness prohibition against being a Police Officer?

I asked my JW acquaintance about this, and she said a JW cannot be a police officer because here in the U.S. it's part of their job to carry a gun and potentially use lethal force. Of course, if a JW is in trouble, he/she would call the police and benefit from them taking care of it.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    Is there a Witness prohibition against being a Police Officer?

At one time this may have been true ... I believe the current view is that if they are a police officer, preferably they would not carry a gun, if they did carry a gun, they could not be considered exemplary and therefore would not qualify for any "priveleges".

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey wannabefree!

The term does not exist in the Bible, yet, the term is in chapter 14 of the 'Bearing Witness' book 27 times!

I've just checked the NWT (in the WT library) and found that the term "Governing Body" does appear in the WBT$ Bible - exactly 27 times! It is spelled or translated as "Sanhedrin"!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would literally pass out from the pain of menstrual cramps. Screeching was a feature. I was allowed to stay in bed. Every month I prayed it would be a KH day. If I had to endure it (a decent md would not have let me endure it), I wanted some tangible benefit. It did happen. If I were fortunate the pain would resolve and I could watch my teen age idols on TV. Pure bliss.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    the term "Governing Body" does appear in the WBT$ Bible - exactly 27 times! It is spelled or translated as "Sanhedrin"!

good catch Fernando

• bobld
    bobld

It is so sad that the R&F cannot see that they are worshipping an IDOL(the gb).They missed the whole point by not reading the rest of Acts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit