In the March 1, 2012 Public WT, Pg.23:

"...When people come to an accurate knowledge

of God and want to serve him, they are

baptized “in the name of the Father and of the

Son and of the holy spirit.”

Yo, numbnut$, you skipped the ORG.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good point. There are two conclusions that can be drawn from that very comment:

1. Since JWs are not baptised into the name of the Holy Spirit, they must not want to serve God. Since they are baptised into the spirit directed organization it is an organisation that they want to serve. AND/OR
    2. JWs do not have an accurate knowledge of God.
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Not having been to a baptism for the last forty odd years, I wonder if there is any part of their baptismal rite that backs up that statement.

The talk???

Just before, or as, they're dunked???

When???

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Did the wt say JWs are baptized in the father, son and holy spirit?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They sure did, Serenity..... and I wan't to know how they justify saying that before I make any accusations.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

what is the baptism shpeel now?

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I just read the paragraph. They put quotes around the phrase "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit." Then they go on to explain what they mean by the phrase. They use the quotes for a dual purpose: 1) to quote the verse, and 2) as scare quotes (a writing practice I often find annoying). The scare quotes allow them to provide their own meaning for the phrase as follows:

They understand and accept the authority of Jehovah
    and the role of Jesus Christ in the outworking
    of Jehovah’s purpose. (Psalm 83:18;
    Matthew 28:18) They also comprehend the
    function and activity of God’s holy spirit, which
    is his active force.

This just looks like typical WT-style writing to me.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    This just looks like typical WT-style writing to me.

It is, but that doesn't make it honest. This is a public edition. Window dressing for potential recruits who are unaware of their habit of using weasel words to polish the outside of their filthy cup.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Maybe the thing about being part of the "spirit directed organization" counts as being baptized in the holy spirit. Yep, that's it. Makes perfect sense!

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

serenitynow wrote:

Maybe the thing about being part of the "spirit directed organization" counts as being baptized in the holy spirit.

I suspect that is exactly how they would reply because notice they define "in the name of the holy spirit" as

comprehend the function and activity of God’s holy spirit

If I understand JW-ism correctly, they believe the function and activity of the holy spirit occurs only in association with their organization.

Black Sheep, I agree 100% that it is filthy and slimy. They are taking advantage of the trust many people have for the usual baptism terminology in mainstream Christian denominations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit