A Question About Genesis 5:1-3

by Voices 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Voices
    Voices

I have a couple of questions about this scripture.

1)Why wasn't Cain mentioned as his first son? I can't justify 'because he was evil' or some other irrelavent reason. IF he came from Adam...he should've been included, even if not counted among the heritage that lead to Christ etc

2)If we came in the image of Adam ...meaning SETH's heritage.. why was there even then is Cain not mentioned?

What is the real meaning behind the prophecy between the advesary that said 'enmity between your seed and her seed' ...Who was the women speaking of here Eve or Jerusalem above? ...or both with it's 'double meaning' ...who /what is/was the seed?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

*whispers*

They weren't real people.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Poopsie...

LOL

Truth hurts!

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

@poopsiecakes

Why even comment on this thread if that's what you believe?

• cofty
    cofty

Because its the correct answer?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

ummmmm why make a comment to me and not attempt to answer the question in the OP? At least I did that, in my own way.

• tec
    tec

Many of Adam's (and others) sons and daughters were not mentioned by name in the geneologies in Genesis (only that so and so had many others sons and daughters). It would seem that only specific ones are mentioned. So perhaps those were in their father's 'image', or perhaps those were hiding the 'seed'? (or both)

In the same way that Israel is the firstborn son of Abraham (even though Ishmael was born first).

Seems to be writing about a specific 'line', rather than an accounting of every son and daughter, as in a family tree.

Peace,

Tammy

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

O.K. Here is the footnote to Genesis 5:1 in the Catholic RSV Bible:

generations:It should be noted that these genealogies are selective and schematic, and the numbers, as often in the Old Testament, are symbolic.

So if it doesn't make sense to us... it was never meant to.

As for the 'your seed, her seed'... who knows? Maybe it makes sense if read in the original language. The Bible loses much of it's meaning when translated into English...

...One explanation is that the seed of Eve (mankind) will gain victory over the powers of evil...

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Just another opportunity to stick it to cain SMH!

link

• darth frosty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit