Superiority of Divine Education

by 2tone 29 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I love fine art. When I suddenly come across a true masterpiece, my gut just reacts. I get chills.

My husband gave me a copy of the black-and-white photo journal of the Pieta (by Robert Hupka), dear BOTR (peace to you!), which Michaelangelo completed when he was 24 years old! Talk about chills. Although I would love to see it in person, I'm afraid it might disappoint: the journal photographs it from every angle... and in the most complimentary light; the real deal, however, only allows views of the front and sides. The photos have me mesmerized every time I look at them... and although my REASON says the real deal MUST be even better, my FEAR irrationally tells me that it can't be... it just can't be better.

I am mesmerized NOT by the depiction (Christ and Mary, after his piercing and death)... but by the artistry, the literal skill... the BRAIN... of a man such a Michaelangelo. He not only captured every vein... but even carved out the tiny lines in the hands, on the toes, the tiny wrinkles in the creases of the eyelids... even hair strands... from one solid block of marble! What kind of brain DOES that... and so exquisitely so???

If you have not had the privilege to see the Pieta (it's in the Vatican, so perhaps you have)... here is a link to the journal I have. Although it can be viewed here (just click on the words at the bottom to navigate the pages), for someone who appreciates fine art... it is WELL worth the price to own a copy:

http://www.la-pieta.org/photo.php?img=picture_library/arstella/catalogue.jpg)

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ... and amateur art lover,

SA

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I first saw the Pieta at the NY World's Fair in 1964. The Vatican did an extraordinary act in allowing it to cross the ocean. A special exhibit was built. You stood on a conveyer belt and it was bathed in eerie blue light. My JW parents took me after a very long lecture about how bad Catholics were. Even a Witness could not turn down the Pieta or the Mona Lisa. I was terrified Jehovah would strike me down as I entered the room.

I've seen in Rome several times. No photograph can do it justice. I had no particular belief about Christ and God. When I see ordinary great museum art, my mind is very conscious of the process. It is an intellectual assesment. Da Vinci, Michelangelo (check out David at the Academy in Florence), Rembrandt, Vermeer, Van Goghs, some Picassos - I am enveloped by the experience. There is no conscious thought process. The Sistine Chapel caused me too weep. The Last Judgment, a wall M. painted using contemporary cardinals as demons with a self portrait of flayed flesh is beyond the capacity of words.

I would spend several days or even a week at the Vatican. EArly Christianity always fascinated me. I visited the catacombs. There were quasi-secret catacombs and other displays at the Vatican that you could see by advance appointment only. Florence is a great art treasure. It helps to know art history but the works are so great they stand on their own.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It would be if it was.

That being said, I liked this suggestion for Part-Time Secular Employment from the Shining as Illuminator's in the World book: Digging Graves ... I can think of 7 graves in particular that I'd be ready, willing and eager to dig!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Shelby,

Perhaps as moving as David and the Pieta are the sculptures Michelangelo never completed. I can't recall if they were in Florence or Rome. The part he chiseled is so alive; the part he did not work on is cold marble. It really looks like life emerging from nothing. If I recall correctly, they are referred to as his slaves.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Shit! I've been the wrong business my entire life! I need to go clean some "telephone booths." Or perhaps become a telegraph repairman!

The more I see this crap, the more it angers me. . . .

I hope their fucking USNY toxic dump bankrupts the assholes!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Shelby, Perhaps as moving as David and the Pieta are the sculptures Michelangelo never completed. I can't recall if they were in Florence or Rome. The part he chiseled is so alive; the part he did not work on is cold marble. It really looks like life emerging from nothing. If I recall correctly, they are referred to as his slaves.

Yes, I have heard this, dear BOTR (peace to you!), and would love to see them for myself (as well as the other artifacts of Florence!). I would love to visit Italy; however, I have no desire to see the Vatican (although my husband would like to; he also wants to go to France, first, though... and the Louvre). I realize that some of the greatest art in the world is in the Vatican (certainly much of Michaelangelo's masterpieces, including the Sistine Chapel)... but for some reason I can't see myself oohing and ahhing over that edifice and its contents (considering how they all came about). It would be like visiting Patterson, etc. (i.e., if such folks just sold a fraction of what they hold/possess... often purchased with blood or other ill-gotten funds... including the fleecing of the sheep... they might make a dent in the sufferings of their own... I digress...). Just doesn't do it for me these days.

But thank you, truly, for sharing that. I may change my mind if I ever do make it Italy... can can pull myself away from, say, the Cinca Terra region - LOLOLOL!

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest...

you said: "Very interesting comment... VERY... in light of some other (comments) to and about... and expectations of... others. Very interesting. Look how long it took you to "get" that, though..."...

you have no idea what I "get" because I depend on God, not man...(or the demon belphegor in your case)

love michelle

• AGuest
    AGuest

That you made the initial comment you did shows how little you know... including your own hypocrisy. That you responded only to that... while still overlooking your hypocrisy... shows how little sight you have... due to how blind it has made you. That you responded AS you did... shows you that you really have NO idea just how deep the pit is. May you never find out. At the rate you're going, though...

Sad part is that you actually can't help yourself. Exodus 9:12

Very sad...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear AGuest...

my God has made abundant provision for me. psalm 23. I put on the whole armor of God (ephesians 6:13-18)and I am thankful for it and all other mercies I may be granted.

love michelle

• AGuest
    AGuest

Who is your god, Michelle? What is His name? On what name do YOU call?

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit