What are the worst pictures in My Book of Bible Stories?

by cedars 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

A few comments from Muddy Waters and Mummatron on another thread peaked my curiosity and led me to revisit some of the illustrations in the My Book of Bible Stories. I don't appear to have my old copy from when I was a child (thankfully), so I checked out the images over on Watchtower.org where the entire book can be read online. The images below are taken from what is displayed on that website, although it wouldn't surprise me if there are equally awful images that haven't been used.

So which of the images below are the most grotesque and inappropriate for children? Or are there others that I haven't shown below?

Cain kills Abel

Cain kills Abel

Enochs day

Badness in Enoch's day

Noahs flood

Noah's flood

Wise king Solomon

"Wise" King Solomon resolves a custody issue

Jezebel

Jezebel is thrown out of a window

Jesus on the stake

Jesus on the stake

Stephen stoned

Stephen being stoned

As I said, I'm sure there are more that are equally grotesque, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cedars

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I don't have the book, but isn't there a touching story about Jael murdering someone with a tent peg?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Funny how Cain apparently had to use a crude stone axe when there was supposedly a perfectly good sword spinning around near Eden.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Jeffro, it's amazing how many macabre stories we were weaned on as children. I guess there's still other tales of gang rape and incest that we were spared from.

Cedars

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

That Jezebel picture always scared me back when I was younger lol

• cedars
    cedars

Hi DonutZ - I think it scared all of us. It doesn't portray women in a particularly flattering light either!

By the way, thanks so much for taking part in the survey!

Cedars

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

These are all pics of times passed. That's tame.

The old Paradise book had pics of your near future if you didn't measure up.

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

You're very welcome!

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Oh yeah, the tent spike through the ear! That one gave me the creeps...

I'd say the ones that I hated the most were the ones that were bloody...not the threat of violence, but the result of it. The stabbing in Enoch's day, the knock on the noggin for Abel...

Jesus on the upright-pole-that-makes-us-different-from-other-religions... Which leads me to ask...would you rather be burned at the stake, or beheaded? Me? I've always preferred a hot steak to a cold chop...*nyuk nyuk*

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The image in my mind of a baby being cut in two was the one that gave me nightmares.

I was an adult so for children to be exposed to such a concept has to be, in my opinion, abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit