File a lawsuit against a fellow 'Christian" and you may get disfellowshipped...

by QuestioningEverything 19 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thank you for that info Doubting Bro :)

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

hmmm my 2 cents it is her money to give or not to give. And reality is 1.2 million is alot...but living of the intrest and leaving the princaple would make a nice but not too huge salery of 45g (or so) a year..... that really doesnt sound that greedy. Sorry I wouldnt pay off my mil and fil debts...families have a alot of personal history and even the nice people .............make a few waves in their lifetime.

I guess the diffrence would be that if during and before the settlement she had her inlaws support, and made verbal comitments as to what she would do with the money?

edited to add that the MIl had roughly 35,000 in debt and the wife and husband had zero debt...that right there is the biggest clue to me as where the rift in the family lies. That story hits home with me. Connect the dots.....

My friend Cindy, her mom Lily and his wife Tammy-(all witnesses-not their real names) filed a lawsuit against the company and won a judgment of $1.2 million dollars. The check was cut and Cindy and her mom haven't seen one penny of the judgment. Not sure how that happened since they were in on the suit initially.

I don't think you are informed as to all of the facts, which is why you are unsure as to how or why your friend and her mom received nothing from the judgment. It's human nature for folks to tell you about facts that are favorable to their position, and to avoid telling you about facts that are unfavorable. If Cindy and Lily sued the company as co-plaintiffs with Tammy, then any judgment or settlement would most likely have resulted in a joint check, payable to Cindy, Lily, and Tammy, that would require all of their signatures in order to be cashed. The fact that this didn't occur suggests that Cindy and Lily were not actual parties to the lawsuit.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The old testament is crammed with over 600+ laws on how god wanted his people to deal with each other legally... It covers most legal situations. Perhaps just use logic, state the above obvious fact (show all the death compensation scriptures) and state the obvious...

THE GOD OF THE BIBLE CLEARLY HAS NO ISSUE WITH HIS PEOPLE SUING EACHOTHER, INFACT HE SPENT MOST OF HIS WRITTEN MESSAGE SPECIFYING EXACTLY HOW TO DO IT.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would knock it up to Bethel. It sounds like a discretionary take. Would other elders rule the same way? I cann't believe it. A judge has so much education and training. What do the elders have? Who ensures their neutrality?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

KIck it up to Bethel in a deferential manner. Humbly ask for their input. The policy will be clear.

The overreaching never fails to astonish me.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

From what I've personally experianced, if a letter of inquiry goes to Bethel for advice on a lawsuit, they usually direct the elders to stay the hell out of it. Even if there is wrongdoing involved

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The op is not clear as to whether the family suing are included in the settlement and whether they were original plaintiffs. Before ruining her status as Witness, something akin to outing someone before they are ready, a free legal consultation should tell whether they have any legal enitlement. If they have no legal entitlement, only moral or family concerns, it is tough luck.

It is not a fortune when divided by the rest of the wife's life. This should have been clear from the beginning. The consequences would have been easier to face. If they are part of the settlement, why did not the insurance co. cut a check for each person?

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good point Band on the Run, I get the feeling the judgment awarded was given to the wife of the deceased because he was of legal age

and he was married at the time of the accident. The mother and daughter may have participated in pursuing this suit against the

company but the court only awarded the wife. Most of these accident injury cases seem to go this way.

The difference being was the victim legally married at the time or not . .....just a guess.

It is a bit of a cold and apathetic situation nevertheless.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

The question that enters my mind is to wonder how much Tammy is "contributing" to the Society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit