File a lawsuit against a fellow 'Christian" and you may get disfellowshipped...

by QuestioningEverything 19 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

My very dear friends brother died tragically at work a few years back-the employer's were at fault 100%. My friend Cindy, her mom Lily and his wife Tammy-(all witnesses-not their real names) filed a lawsuit against the company and won a judgment of $1.2 million dollars. The check was cut and Cindy and her mom haven't seen one penny of the judgment. Not sure how that happened since they were in on the suit initially.

Cindy is inactive but Lily isn't. Lily attempted to speak with the elders about this when the settlement check arrived and the daughter in law told them to never contact her again, that they weren't getting any money, she needed it to survive. The elders told Lily it was a 'family matter' and that they couldn't get involved. Being the good witness she is, she dropped the matter.

Eighteen months have passed and Tammy still refuses to speak with Cindy or Lily. Lily has retained an attorney and filed suit against Tammy. When Tammy received the court papers, she went to the elders. One of the elders told Lily that if she continued to pursue this lawsuit, she could be disfellowshipped! Really? And stealing from your Mother and Sister-in Law, your dear husband's only family isn't a disfellowshipping offense?

I was very upset when I heard what the elders told Lily. She has been a loyal witness forever. It's just shameful.

Now, what can i say to my friend to help her see the 'wrongness' of the elders and maybe open her eyes to the WTBS?

• mouthy
    mouthy

ISNT THAT AWFUL... Some people have no conscience

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sounds to me like the Elders are threatening Lilies civil right to pursue this matter

If the laws of the land give her the right to sue without repercussions who are the

Elders to take that right away by threat of disfellowshipping

The WTS has been involed in law suits to fight for their rights

why take away hers , the law says you can sue anyone if you feel you

have been done wrong, no matter who it is, brother or not

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Tell Lily to threat the elders of lawsuit against them for getting involved in her fucking business. If she will threat them, encourage her to do it calmly, they would probably never df'd Lily.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Weird. I was told that suing a "brother" was not a DF'ing offense. SO, since she is still a believer, recommend that she research that. Also recommend that she contact Bethel and even speak to the CO. They really should stay out of this. Suing is frowned on, but I really don't think it is a DF ing issue. Really, she should check it out. It may put her mind at ease and free her up to push forward. Unfortunately, we all know it's bullshit, but she doesn't and we have to work with her worldview.

NC

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Typically it is the spouse who is entitled to settlement monies (or at least the vast majority of it). The purpose of the settlement is to compensate for the financial loss of the future earnings of the deceased. Since he is out of the home of his parents and married, the funds are typically designated for his wife and children. If he was contributing to the welfare of the parents, then they could have been added to the suit, and the attorneys representing the family should have been responsible for determining what share of the proceeds went to each party. (At least that is my personal experience. There a attorneys here who will likely put in their 2 cents. Band?)

DOC

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Desirous of Change-I understand what you are saying and so do Lily and Cindy. Lily asked for a mere $35,000 of the $1,200,000 settlement to help settle her personal debts. Cindy asked for nothing. Tammy would still have $1,165,000 left. This greedy bitch said that she can't afford to give Lily anything-that she needs all of it to survive on. Tammy and the deceased had no children and no outstanding debt when he passed.

Cindy and Lily are very humble, kind people. Tammy mislead them when the settlement papers were being signed. They are not selfish or greedy in any way.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I would have the attorney address a letter to the elder to stay out on not to put undue pressure on her regarding the lawsuit. Once most people get a letter in the mail, they back off. People have balls until it costs $350 an hour. BTW I've been sued as an employer from anything starting at wage disputes to getting sues by a JW for religious discrimination. Yep a sister sues a company owned by three JW's, employing 30 jw's and yet she was persecuted at work for her religion. No one ever threatened the publishers with getting df'd. BTW, I won EVERY 'suit

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The worst they can do to her is to remove "privileges". So, if she was a pioneer, then she could get deleted but that's about it. She needs to speak with another elder or the CO.

According to the Shepherd the Flock of God book (elders manual) pages 133,134 - this is the rule:

Taking Brothers

to Court

22. At 1

Corinthians 6:1-8, the apostle Paul gave strong counsel that Christians should not take other Christians before secular courts to settle personal disputes that should be settled with

the help of the congregation elders.-w97 3/15 pp. 21-22; w8611/15 p. 20; g83 2/8 pp. 13-15; w7311/15 pp. 703-704.

If an individual ignores God's Word on this matter, it may affect his congregation privileges.

There is no difference between taking an individual brother or sister to court and taking

to court a corporation whose owners are all Jehovah's Witnesses. The spirit of 1 Corinthians 6:

1-8

would be violated by relying on the secular courts to settle business disputes among corporations that are made up entirely of brothers.

23. However, there are

legal matters over which the congregation does not have authority and which may therefore be taken to a secular court for judgment without violating the principle or

the spirit of 1 Corinthians 6: 1-8. These include:

Getting a divorce decree, child custody and support, alimony.

C

hapter 12

hapter 12

hapter 12

hapter 12

Obtaining insurance compensation. If a person suffers loss or is injured in or by an automobile

owned by

a spiritual brother, it might be necessary legally to sue the brother in order to

obtain compensation from the brother's insurer.

Being listed among creditors in bankruptcy procedures.

• Probating

wills.

Certain countersuits. For example, if a worldly creditor sues a brother, it might be necessary for

th

e brother, for his own protection, to file a countersuit even though spiritual brothers

may be included in the action.

• If

a brother takes legal action against another baptized Witness, it would not be a violation

of 1 Corinthians 6:1-8 for the one being sued to defend him self or to countersue. This

is true whether the matter was first taken before the elders or not.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Sorry about the formatting. I thought I had it straight but when I posted, I see it's a mess. Anyway, that elder isn't following his own stupid rule!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit