Richard Dawkins gets interview with Revelation TV, a religious network!

by dark angle 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dark angle
  • botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I've watched about 20 minutes worth so far....very good. This is a civil, respectful discussion, and Dawkins is doing a fine job explaining the evolutionary process to a creationist.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the lkink I'm listening to it now. I'm genuinely surprised tha Dawkins agreed to it. Wiki says Howard Conder used to be a JW?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Dawkins is a very gracious man, he is confronted with pure stupidity and keeps both his and the idiot interviewer's dignity with his answers.

• caliber
    caliber

What I conclude is that personal moral judgement (which Christians are often accused of ) is required also of people like

Dawkins to arrive at their conclusion that things like the ransom sacrifice is a hideous concept .

Can the existence of God be proved through scientific inquiry?

Science is a tool for investigating natural things.... can it also be used to investigate the supernatural ?

Is God outside the scope of proof, or disproof, of scientific inquiry?..... is the ultimate question

• cofty
    cofty

caliber - if you are going to hide behind that then you have reduced the credibility of your beliefs to that of Bertrand Russell's flying teapot.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

The concept of human sacrifice to atone for a 4000 year old sin IS hideous. Atheists are not necessarily immoral people, but when they turn their morality on the bible, it makes you mad. So morality is just fine as long as it agrees with human sacrifice? I'm not sure I get your point. We recognize that everyone has personal moral judgement, which is why it baffles us when such judgement is withheld when stories of genocide, rape, and human sacrifice are somehow glossed over as being instigated by what some hold as the most moral being in the universe.

NC

• caliber
    caliber

Philosopher Brian Garvey criticises Russell's teapot analogy....

Garvey argues that it is not a matter of the theist propounding existence of a thing and the atheist simply denying it—each is asserting an alternative explanation of why the cosmos exists and is the way it is: "the atheist is not just denying an existence that the theist affirms – the atheist is in addition committed to the view that the universe is not the way it is because of God. It is either the way it is because of something other than God, or there is no reason it is the way it is."[2

Burden of proof from this quotes appears to lie in both camps.... My question addresses the idea that neither" faith' or " facts "will convince each other

• cofty
    cofty

Ok but here is the difference. The theist says "here is how the world came about and I know all about its maker right down to what he doesn't like us to do to each other in bed."

The athiest says "We don't yet know how the universe came into being but we have made made a good start and we are working hard to find out."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

LOL 25 minutes in.

HC: Not to be too personal, but how do I take a leak if I need to wait millions of years to do that?

RD: Wait a minute, I don't understand

HC: Well you know, if I was to go to the toilet, how did we evolve with the ability to release waste? If we were waiting millions of years for certain organs to evolve. That is a simple question but I am a simple man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit