New To Studying

by DylanBeam 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

DylanBeam, welcome.

Something for you to ponder .... Why, for over 130 years, have they been 100% wrong in their prophecy of the coming of Armageddon?

• sabastious
  • designs
    designs

They have printed books that give the ABCs of the Bible on up through specific issue related subjects. Insight On The Scriptures is a 2 Vol. Encyclopedia and All Scriptures Inspired By God is a book by book brief synopsis of the Bible Books.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome.

I might suggest researching the history of the Watch Tower Society. If you are studying with any group you should educate yourself on their background information.

• Who originated this movement?
    • Where did they get their ideas?
    • Has it changed over the years?

Many Jehovah's Witnesses (me included) have been surprised to learn that the leader of the movement, Charles Russell, was involved in Egyptology, and used a pyramid measurement to arrive at a pivotal date (1914) for the end of the world. Many would be surprised to know that at one time the Watch Tower Society taught that being vaccinated was like "taking pus into the body."

Are you a young person? Then likely you know the surpassing worth of education and research using the information available to you. Please value your ability to reason and think for yourself. Let us know of your progress.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Decisions in life come no bigger than your world view. After 25 years indoctrinated with a false one may I suggest 3 things.

1) effort

2) check every piece of 'evidence' you are presented with. Even if you are thrown several 'facts' in one paragraph, spend as many hours as required to examine all the evidence of each. Most importantly when a scientific reference (quote or explanation) is given to you, ask or find the original source of that information and ensure firstly that it has not been misrepresented (in my experience this was the case more than not), secondly check the alternate views of the matter for yourself (many cults expect you to not know how, a good start is google scholar). Third CHECK the date of the evidence! Many....'cults' and apologists, refer to 'science' from the 1800's in order to find support for their views.

Both of these things will see you in good stead' but finally....

3) recognise your right to decide for yourself what is the best evidence, trust nobody but yourself. This is important Dylan, you will soon be told that to do this is wrong. That's when the wool goes over the eyes....

Snare x

Here are some scriptures to help start your next bible study session ....

Exodus 21:2-6

Leviticus 25:44-46

Exodus 21:7-11

Proverbs 29:21

Proverbs 29:19

Zechariah 13:7-9

Colossians 3:22

Jeremiah 51:20-26

Zechariah 14:1-2

Jeremiah 11:22-23

Deuteronomy 20:10-14

Judges 21:10-24

Numbers 31:7-18

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Deuteronomy 21:10-14

Judges 5:30

Judges 9:42-49

Numbers 5:11-31

Numbers 25:1-9

• wasblind
    wasblind

Please remember this while in your study

if anyone says: we don't teach that anymore,

ask them why don't they teach that anymore if it was

indeed " THE TRUTH "

• ziddina
    ziddina

Like what publication made by Watchtower is good to start with? How do you guys go about studying publications?

"The Divine Plan of the Ages" is a bit of an eye opener..."

What "Can't Leave" suggested....

You can purchase OLD Watchtower publications online. Start with the OLDEST one you can afford, then work your way forward from there.

That way, you can see where their current doctrine comes from....

Zid

• N.drew
    N.drew

snare&racket exodus 21:2-6 is a lovely scripture in regard to the second baptism question.

And I think you brought it up to refute their terrible shunning policy for people who have moved on in their personal search.

Good one

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

All those scriptures refer to god commanding slavery, genocide, infanticide, rape etc.... I don't remember that being a topic in the reasoning book.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I suggest "Crises Of Concience" first, then" Rescuing Slaves of the Watchtower"by Joe Hewitt.

My own suggestion is Dont bother ,your about to have your mind captured....Sorry to offend
    but I have been there done that for over 25 years...It is a terrible cult.... Duet 18:20-22 read it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit