Equal Rights and Women's Rights in Israel

by designs 18 Replies latest social current

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Living in NY, I encountered many Orthodox Jews. It is very different than secular or Conservative Jews. Despite myself, I felt uncomfortable.Mostly I saw them on the subway and in Central Park. The emphasis on family and the lack of materialism appeals to me. The Orthodox males were the aggregors on the subway line. The Italian men would man up and walk away. Every morning I saw about four to five showdowns.

Sometimes I feel it is a blessing and sometimes I want to be comfortable with my own kind.

• meangirl
    meangirl

Band on the Run are you talking about the movie "Stoning of Soraya M?" That movie speaks volume. It's horrible the way women are treated over there....I recommend that movie to everyone.....oops recommending movies.....LOL

• designs
    designs

A large public demonstration took place in the town where many of the assualts against women by ultra-Orthodox Jewish men have been occuring. A female soldier was one of the most recent victims of this display on a Public bus, police were called in to question the man.

• james_woods
    james_woods

One other factor about this ultra-orthodox sect is that they teach their members not to work; they are supposed to just study the Torah all day.

I speculate that this means they expect their women to do all the work. Ironically.

To Israel's credit, it seems that the mainstream population has strongly denounced this behavior.

• designs
    designs

james- good point. The ultra Orthodox have gotten politically involved and worked laws allowing this Welfare for the men. I susect in some of these sects that having what they consider an ultra pure Israel will facilitate the Messiah's coming and setting Jerusalem up as earth's capital.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Fortunately, it does appear that they have not disfigured or killed anybody YET.

Other than that, they are little different from the radical taliban of Afghanistan.

• Robdar
    Robdar

A good Jewish friend of mine said to me yesterday, "Ultra Orthodox men are nothing but dicks. They move their wives into a neighborhood and start dropping babies as fast as they can. Pretty soon they are demanding rights they would never grant to others. And they wont stop screaming and making a scene until they get what they want. "

The Ultra Orthodox men in Israel do not have to work, nor do they serve in the military. They mooch off their families while claiming to study the Torah. The only thing they are studing the Torah for is proof that they are the chosen ones. They offer nothing to society. I, myself, have no use for them, having had a nasty encounter with a rabbi a couple years ago during Purim.

I am very pleased to see other Israeli Jews telling the Ultra Orthodox to back off. Locally, we're having conniptions over the incident.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Other than that, they are little different from the radical taliban of Afghanistan.

True, JW. But at least the Jews are raising hell about the treatment of women. That's more than the Muslims do.

• designs
    designs

Robdar- Interesting first hand encouter. These quasi-religious states(Jewish, Islamic, Hindu) have a huge Enlightenment waiting for them, some are in the midst of their enlightenment and some are just beginning. Its encouraging to see these women make their stand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit