New songbook, 2 years later

by WTWizard 19 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now that it has been almost 2 years since they released that flop Sing to Jehovah, I wonder how much the singing has improved. I remember hearing a lot about how the singing was horrible when the book was first released. However, I wonder how many have figured out how to sing those songs. Whether they are singing it according to the directions or they found the actual correct notes--and, if the hounders are telling congregations that they need to stick to the directions and then lambasting them when that turns out horrible.

As for me, I (so far) never heard any of those dreadful excuses for "music(??)" personally--and wish to keep it that way. Given that they have been described as blasphemous and idolatrous, now that the rubbish is about 2 years old, I would imagine that congregations are getting used to this as the new normal.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The songbook came out just before I woke up and walked away from the watchtower(TM) trading as Jehovah's witnesses(TM) and before the congo sang the new kingdum maladies they played the 1st verse to set the scene.

I overheard Mrs Punk RECENTLY saying that it's been recommended they play the mournful crap and practice singing them.

Seems to me the new kingdum maladies are the same if not more shittier than the previous dirges. (Which let's face it, are just prolonged and painful advertizing jingles for the WBT$ scam the 7 paedophile protectors have got going for themselves in Crooklyn).

So much for the boast that they'd be easier.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

My wife walks around trying to sing them and plays them in her car while the kids are in there.

The kids try and sing them as well.

In my opinion it was a worthy try, but art is subjective and I think the masses have basicly spoken about these new pieces.

It is a horrible redux of the working model.

Nice try, since the original writer/producer of the original disassociated himself.

MTM

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Few weeks ago, the sound man had the wrong song playing for the opening of the Service Meeting. I'd venture to say, roughly 50% of us singing had no idea and we were just singing along, forcing words to work with the melody. If not for the other half of the audience turning their heads around at the sound man and looking around the auditorium with befuddled looks on their faces, we would have continued on singing the wrong song. To me, it just goes to show how plenty of JWs aren't all that familiar with the songs, and it goes back to personal tastes and how something like music shouldn't be forced down people's throats for the sake of uniformity.

• Londo111
    Londo111

They sound like off-off Broadway reject showtunes. As poor as the old songbook was, they were better by an order of magnitude.

I remember an old article that advised, "Enjoy those songs!" How can one force oneself to enjoy something one doesn't genuinely like?

• 00DAD
  • Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

no room for George - They did that on a regular basis in my old hall till they put ME in charge, cuz i can read music

yup for the last year of being a JW I was the sound GIRL

small hall!!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

yup for the last year of being a JW I was the sound GIRL

What? Priviligiz without a penis?

Very liberal.....What's next? Drag Queens leading the field service meeting.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I'd say more desperate then liberal

There just weren't too many "penises" girls did the territories, sound, and magazines

of course after I shook up the hall who knows what they can do now

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Having never been part of a church I wonder, are hymns changed every once in a while to reflect better/different understanding? If as a little girl I sang such classics as "the old rugged cross, how great thou art, amazing grace," would they have the same lyrics and melodies 30 years later? One thing that bothered me about the religion was all of the changes. Why is there no consistency? They make it so you have to go to the hall & study their books just to even know what they believe at any point in time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit