Google predicts search - Jehovah's Witnesses mentally diseased

by slimboyfat 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Have others noticed that if you enter "Jehovah's Witnesses" into a google search that the first alternative it predicts is "Jehovah's Witnesses mentally diseased"?

I use firefox and am in the UK, if that makes a difference.

Does that mean that "Jehovah's Witnesses mentally diseased" is currently the most popular JW related search? If so I wonder how many of those searches are by Jehovah's Witnesses prompted by media exposure of the issue?

• truthseeker1969
    truthseeker1969

Interestiing! I have not tried it but wouldn't be surprised.

I have witness family in the UK and they said it caused a commotion with a number being discontent with the "hate speech".

• alanv
    alanv

I have just typed in Jehovah's witnesses and the first few sites are the societies own. I then typed the same in and added 'in UK' and abot 4 searches down there was the mentally diseased link to a British newspaper article about it.

• zagor
  • Fernando
    Fernando

jehovahs witnesses mentally diseased

Above search with no apostrophe (jehovah's) just reported 1,270,000 hits on Google (from Queensland, Australia, with Firefox). Mentally diseased came up in a list of 4 predicted searches when I reached the "m".

Seems to have gone viral. Just goes to show what strategy, careful wording and one well placed article can do. Very encouraging. Maybe we should write an article about this article - or similar.

Great job Cedars (if memory serves correctly).

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Fernando - it is extremely gratifying that this campaign had such far-reaching consequences.

I just tried a search for "mentally diseased", and it returned the following suggestions:

• mentally diseased apostates
    • mentally diseased jehovah's witnesses
    • mentally diseased jw
    • mentally diseased jehovah

In hindsight, does the Watch Tower Society feel sure that it has exalted Jehovah's name by publishing the 7/15 article?

Cedars

• Londo111
    Londo111

Good work, Cedars!

Too bad the Society is getting a free ride and the last word in these articles. If I were an unbiased party and reading this, I would wonder why these former Witnesses were making such a stink, when they could "just leave". Why aren't reporters asking more questions of the Society's spokesman? For instance, "If they did leave, wouldn't they be shunned by friends and family? What happens to Witnesses who choose not to shun former members?" There is no digging--the articles are very shallow.

I hope the authorities investigating won't do such a cursory job. This article is three months old--is there any status in regard their investigation?

• tec
    tec

I use safari, and I get the first two for their own site, then wiki, then jwn.

I'm in Canada.

Peace,

Tammy

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Londo111 - you make a valid point. It wouldn't surprise me if many Witnesses who weren't around when this story originally broke are now flooding the internet pages trying to have their say. Unfortunately, we all have lives so we don't have the time to fight our corner and keep rebutting their arguments as they come in.

As regards the police investigation, I'm afraid I don't have an update. I personally think using the word "investigation" was perhaps over-exaggerating the level of seriousness that the police afforded this issue.

As has been mentioned, it's extremely difficult to get the wider public interested in our cause. The instant reaction does tend to be "why don't you just leave?" and it's impossible to get through to people that it isn't always that simple. Also, we forget that there are 7 million Witnesses to a global population of 7 BILLION. If you were an up-and-coming journalist - would you want to write a story that only directly impacts 0.1% of the global population? I think not.

I really admire Jerome Taylor for running the story that first got this issue the attention it deserved, but I think journalists of his calibre are few and far between. That shouldn't stop us trying though...

Cedars

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

i have one comment after reading this.

KARMA IS A ......#%$#%$#....... time to take the JW's to the woodshed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit