Could we be violating the rights of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES?

by Terry 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

That that is is that that is not is not that's it

(That that is, is. That that is not, is not. That's it!)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Tell it Band !!!!! Tell it!!!!!!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

As someone mentioned earlier, the First Amendment only applies to federal and state action. A private citizen is free to discriminate in the private sphere. There is no rule saying we must be fair. I've posted several times that the Witnesses were involved in a series of cases extending religoius freedom. Analysis of those cases, however, show that the Witnesses mimic Puritan belief. Freedom for themselves but not a sliver of freedom for those who disagree.Quakers would extend their freedoms to other religions. So this forum, privately owned, has no burden of being neutral or being extra polite to the Witnesses.

The Catholic Church was antisemitic. This idea that the US government was set up by religous groups believing in religious or much worse being Christian is a spurious belief. Most groups came to this country, the wilderness, to establish discrimination against those not in their group. In this context, the Witnesses are no different than the groups preceded it.

I find it amazing,too, that the Witnesses are so proud of this case law. It does not seem neutral to me. NOt one of them was willing to incur a hangnail during the World Wars to defend our mores.

• cedars
    cedars

Band - I'm SO glad you stuck around!

That's the kind of insightful answer that would have been missed on JWN.

Cedars

• Terry
    Terry

...and Joseph Franklin Rutherford seemed hellbent on offending just about every group on the planet!

He excoriated them all!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Indeed, other religions, esp the Catholic, catered to Hitler. The WTBTS believes it is the only true reliigion. Rutherford's letter to Hitler published on this forum (and now I can't find a link) basically said that Witnesses are not Jews. Commercial Jews (Rutherford's phrase) deserve what is coming to them from Germany. The Witnesses are not Jews in so many ways. We obey Reich law. (not true).The Witnesses did antagonize Hitler. Then, they shifted policy. Prob. when Nazis threatened to see WT assets.

There is a burst of antisemitism that cannot be denied. Rutherford could have argued how the Witnesses were no threat to the Third Reich. A tough argument but one worth arguing for the lives of German witnesses and then Witnesses all over Europe.

The WTBTS should issue a statement condemning the language and sentiments. God's people should have engaged in active resistance to Hitler. This is the stance of the one true religion. Appeasment and suck it upness. Individual Catholics, bishops, etc. resisted, despite approval from the Vatican. I don't recall an honor roll of Witnesses who helped their fellow humans.

• Terry
    Terry

The official Watchtower view of Hitler is problematic. For the rank and file, only the glowing martyrdom will ever be repeated.

I've never figured out how dying because somebody hates you is a feather in your cap.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I've never figured out how dying because somebody hates you is a feather in your cap.

I find it fascinating that Rutherford took on a dying religion and turned it around. I personally find him contemptible, but nonetheless fascinating. What he did was desecrate the memory of Russell, and his vision, and it created a schism then, but now Witnesses highly venerate Russell. What I am compelled to call that is pure talent and skill in the name of all that is corrupt and bad. Lex Luthor would have to tip his hat, I would imagine.

-Sab

• ziddina
    ziddina
    " 1. The anticult movement's position on Jehovah's Witnesses and other faith community's is considered discriminatory by human rights advocates.
    2. Most of the anticult and counter cult organizations have failed to provide credible research.
    3. Most anticult organizations have not mentioned the contribution Jehovah's Witnesses have made to religious freedom in their research. ..."

Ooopsies...

Dayamm, I am going to lose so much sleep over possible culpability...

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit