Could we be violating the rights of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES?

by Terry 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

http://www.cesnur.org/2005/pa_brown.htm

CESNUR

Jehovah's Witnesses and the Anti-cult Movement: A Human Rights Perspective

John B. BROWN, II (Social educator, Tucson, Arizona)
    Human Rights Issues and Religious Freedom

The issues created by anticult fervor can be recapitulated in the following points. The US Constitution and international human rights documents guarantee a person’s right to join any faith community of choice. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights[xxxviii] was accepted in 1948. Articles 18 and 19 of the 1948 Declaration affirm that freedom of religion is a human right, and that freedom to hold beliefs and opinions without interference is also a human right. In 1966 two binding human rights treaties were drafted and submitted for signing by U.N. members. The 1948 Declaration and the two 1966 treaties are commonly called the International Bill of Human Rights.[xxxix] One of these treaties, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights[xl] is a very important for religious freedom. Article 18 and 19 affirm verbatim what the 1948 Declaration states.

The 1966 Civil Rights Covenant also authorizes the formation of the Human Rights Committee. That Committee issued General Comment 22[xli] in 1993. General Comment 22 affirms that people have the right to profess or not profess a religion, to choose a religion or choose no religion at all and the right to choose theistic, non-theistic, or atheistic traditions.

General Comment 22 continues by stating that article 18 “bars coercion that would impair the right to have or adopt a religion or belief, including the use of threat of physical force or penal sanctions to compel believers or non-believers to adhere to their religious beliefs and congregations, to recant their religion or belief or to convert.” The concern that human rights advocates have is concerning deprogramming, exit counseling, cult interventions, and other similar therapies. These therapies aim at getting the “cultist” to recant his or her beliefs through confrontational and deceptive means.

In 1981 the Declaration on the Elimination of All Forms of Intolerance and of Discrimination Based on Religion or Belief was created.[xlii] The 1981 Declaration defines discrimination as “any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on religion or belief” that attempts to abolish the rights freedoms and enjoyments of religious freedom.

Some state that “one person's cult is another's valid religion.”[xliii] Human rights documents state that everyone has the right to freedom of religious belief. The United States Supreme Court is of the same opinion as stated in Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye v. Hialeah[xliv]. Referring this faith community’s practice of animal sacrifice the Court said, “Although the practice of animal sacrifice may seem abhorrent to some, 'religious beliefs need not be acceptable, logical, consistent, or comprehensible to others in order to merit First Amendment protection.”

Conclusion

In this article the following points have been made:

1. The anticult movement’s position on Jehovah’s Witnesses and other faith community’s is considered discriminatory by human rights advocates.
    2. Most of the anticult and counter cult organizations have failed to provide credible research.
    3. Most anticult organizations have not mentioned the contribution Jehovah’s Witnesses have made to religious freedom in their research.
  • cedars
    cedars

If people want to continue to be members of a cult despite reviewing information that discredits their beliefs, then I have no problem with that. To that end, I would never discriminate against individual Jehovah's Witnesses simply for following their beliefs.

Moreover, I fail to understand how exposing cults is a violation of some trenchant human right, whereas it's perfectly acceptable to carve up families with unfounded shunning dogma?

On point 2, I'd like to hear from anyone who visits jwfacts.com and comes away claiming that there is no credible research??

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Most anticult organizations have not mentioned the contribution Jehovah’s Witnesses have made to religious freedom in their research.

I think that's because the Watch Tower Society furthers religious freedom to suit its own agenda, and then surreptitiously deprives others of that same freedom via their shunning practices. It's called "hypocrisy"!

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

JWs bash everyone and then whine when they get a taste of their own medicine.

Stop Whining!

• JeffT
    JeffT

We're free to talk and they are free to plug their ears. I don't see a problem. I do disagree with some of these "deprogrammers" that run around kidnapping people and working on them until they recant their beliefs. Brain washing in the opposite direction is still brain washing.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Besides deprogrammers, who is forcing anyone to believe anything? They have human rights. So do we. People get heated up here and are passionate but I've never seen any suggestion that we form JW concentration camps. Post Armageddon, I can see the Witnesses executing people.

Religious freedom is a norm here; it is not a norm at Bethel. They have a cosmic war going on.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    The anticult movement’s position on Jehovah’s Witnesses and other faith community’s is considered discriminatory by human rights advocates.

Discriminatory? Excuse me? They think everyone else in the world is inferior in knowledge and morality!

Most of the anticult and counter cult organizations have failed to provide credible research.

First, note the word "Most". Who of these groups DID provide credible research, then? Second, the Watchtower Society is the master of failing to provide credible research, and when they can't find it, they just misquote credible research. I call that...incredible.

Most anticult organizations have not mentioned the contribution Jehovah’s Witnesses have made to religious freedom in their research.

Again, "Most". That would be because Jehovah's Witnesses have no interest in religious freedom beyond their own. It is their goal to have only one religion in existence for all eternity--their own. Anyone who leaves is maligned, slandered, persecuted all for just having a different opinion than those in power. Not what I would describe as a beacon of freedom and justice, whatever the law books may say.

Nice try, but....

You lose

--sd-7

• matt2414
    matt2414

"The US Constitution and international human rights documents guarantee a person’s right to join any faith community of choice."

My understanding is that the U.S. Contstitution prohibits the GOVERNMENT from making a state religion, and from stopping you from joining a religion of your choice. The First Ammendment says in part: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." So this wouldn't apply to those who post on this site.

And as far as I can see, no one on here is prohibiting or even impeding other people, including Jehovah's Witnesses, from believing how they wish. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states in Article 18: "Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance."

Just as Jehovah's Witnesses have the right to believe as they please, so do the people on this site. In fact, we also have the right to free speech, which those documents also guarantee. So I don't see there's any problem.

• steve2
    steve2

The thread title skirts just this side of being offensively eye-catching; it's a little bit like accusing rape victims of hurting the feelings of their offenders by daring to speak out!

Let's set the focus back where it needs to go; namely, the Watchtower's legal victories have been decidedly for the entity known variously but most frequently as organized religion; its victories were never ever for the rights of lone individual struggling to make their way out of an organized religion. That the Watchtower itself could be nicely accused of violating the rights of its individual members appears to have escaped the terms and references of the small article with its lop-sided focus on group rights.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I wouldn't discriminate against a JW because of his choice of religion, but it definately gives me an idea what their ability is to discern shit from shinola

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit