Today's Logic Puzzle

by Farkel 28 Replies latest jw friends

• butalbee
    butalbee

All of the above

• Farkel
    Farkel

Congrats to everyone who said there was not enough information to solve the problem. I purposefully made the solution appear to contain a "half" person so people might look a little harder at the problem.

This problem was supposed to be an aid to remind people to take NOTHING for granted. The first and second arguments define a set called "jerks" and distributes "elders in a certain circuit" and "ministerial servants in that circuit" in that set. The last argument states that 1/2 of the jerks who are not elders or ministerial servants are pedophiles.

However, the last argument does not distribute pedophiles in the set define as "jerks in that circuit." Gravedancer assumed that I said "remaining number of jerks" which (had I stated that) would have also included pedophiles in the set called "jerks in that circuit."

I said "the jerks" and that is an entirely different and much larger set, since the world is full of them. So, from the evidence presented, it is impossible to solve the problem. On reflection, I humbly admit it would have been clearer to say "jerks" instead of "the jerks" to get my point across.

I KNOW the problem was misleading and I KNOW some people are going to state I was "twisting" the wording in order to deceive over a subtle nuance, but that is exactly what I intended to do. Perhaps, though, some of you JWs lurking out there might learn a lesson from it. Your religion requires you to take so much for granted without thinking that you don't even realize some of your life decisions are based upon the most ridiculous arguments and conclusions possible.

Here is an example: how many times did we use the expression "this wicked system of things" in our dub life? I used it in field service alone countless thousands of times, without even thinking about it. We all knew what it expression seemed to imply, but did we stop to think how stupid such an expression is?

The statement implies there is only ONE "system of things," but in fact this planet has countless thousands of "systems," including varying forms of national, regional, state and municipal governments. The UN is also a system. So are the places where you all work. There is no ONE encompassing "system of things" that is all wicked. And what the hell does "things" mean? It means NOTHING! For that matter, "wicked" is not even defined. WTS leaders are assuming householders will think it means such things murder, wars and acts of terrorism, when in fact it really means, "all non-JWs and some JWs."

Furthermore, that statement not only assumes one system, but it assumes that that one all-encompassing system is wicked! For that statement to be true, there would be world-wide chaos and anarchy. Such is not the case, but JWs blindly parrot the phrase "this wicked system of 'things'" as if it really meant something.

It would be easy to make a dub squirm by forcing that dub to precisely define "system" and "things" and to prove that such a system is really "wicked."

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• jterfehr
    jterfehr

Excellent case study Farkel. I think as JW's we wanted everything explained, and it all should fit in a nice package. But the reality is we cant explain everything...we don't have enough information. Drawing conclusions on 'what farkel must have meant' was reminescent of the WTBS drawing conclusions on what bible writers must have meant. However, does that mean that we can't learn from the bible?

Compare Farkels riddle to the bible:

Are there pedofiles? YES
    How many? Not exactly sure

Is there a god? YES
    Is he a trinity? Not exactly sure

The big question is, does it matter? Not really, we know there is a god, we know he wants us to treat others with love. The exact manner and fashion, I think, has purposely been left up to us.

Just one man's lunacy...carry on.

• Moxy
    Moxy

re number problem:

> 200[4]=16 (though, wouldn't 40 be the MORE correct answer?)
    no. 100 would be the only correct answer. 200 is 32 and base 4 doesnt have a digit 4.

> 10011[3]=85 (shouldn't 16 be 51?)
    no. it should be 121. base 3 only has digits 0,1,2.

> 100000000[2]=256 (shouldn't 16 be 10000?)
    yes.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Farkel - I stand by my answer that you are one "jerk off"!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Farkel - I stand by my answer that you are one "jerk off"!!

Tell me something I don't know!

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

How have ya been Fark?

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Duh, I'm an idiot. You are correct, Moxy. I think I had my head stuck in base 16 mode for those numbers. I had a headache... that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Hmmm

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Here is an example: how many times did we use the expression "this wicked system of things" in our dub life? I used it in field service alone countless thousands of times,

System? Bloody system? Bloody Norah, I always thought that the word was "cystern"! A sort of "down with plumbers" mentality.

Bugger.

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit