Wasted life as a JW?....Be Optimistic!

by ISP 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

Its not too late to learn or be educated or retrained etc! Its easy for me to say I guess...but it cannot be anymore. Times have definitely changed.

In the UK most folks planned on retiring at 60..possibly 55. It was important to get ahead while in your early 20s and hope to be coining it in your 30s, 40s. Well things have changed. The average retirement age is set to rise to mid 70s. The old idea was you would have retirement for 5-10 yrs before dying....so you didn't need much in your pension fund. Or at least you would get a good annuity rate. Well now those who are looking at retiring at 55 are struggling to get enough in their fund in the 30 years of working life to finance 30 years of retirement. Its a product of increased longevity. Most pension companies are having to re-think their pension strategies. Pensions are not a good idea to me. You do better with equity based investments that will grow in time and at the end of it you are not forced to spend a chunk of it buying an annuity.

Now what it means for many of us is that you have time for a second career choice if necessary. Education that you may have missed due to being a brain dead dub can be revisited! Many find themselves have to retrain because of redundancy anyway. You need to look at lot more longer term now. So lost years in the WTS may not be as critical as they used to be. You have time to put things right!

ISP

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

On the other hand, if normal people are finding that their retirement savings are inadequate, then what about all those JW's who didn't save a dime because the world was coming to an end. They may be working until they hit 90 - that's a lot of sweeping.

• Xander
    Xander

I'd forward that this is not as easy at is sounds, but a worthy task.

I'm going to school full time, and working full time. And, I have a house to take care of and wife. It's hard, and I'm pissed at the (b)org for not letting me go to college sooner, when I could have done it with a large scholarship (yup, one of those - course, I didn't have a full ride to a state college like my wife had to turn down, but it still sucks). However, I'll get by, and hopefully will have some good career opportunities in the future.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • ISP
    ISP

Runningman.......those dubs who have been wishing their years away...will suddenly find out what it all adds up to. They better wise up quick!

ISP

• Francois
    Francois

Xander,

I hate to say it, but it's true: You can't be walked on unless you lie down first.

The Borg wouldn't "let" you? Actually, you gave the Borg the power to tell you what you could and couldn't do. It's tough, but there it is.

And look at it like this: You're not likely EVER to give anyone that kind of power over you again. It's a valuable lession. One you won't forget. I didn't and won't.

You're now on the right track. Don't waste any more energy on those bastards. You need all your energy poured into your education. Go for it.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• ISP
    ISP

Xander it is not easy. It is crap really and a bad situation to be in. But you cannot afford to mope about. You have to be determined.

ISP

• Xander
    Xander

Sorry if I gave the impression I was mopy.

I get pissed off from time to time, true. But, my outlook is generally positive. As I've posted in another thread (wow - posting a lot today), I have found a lot to live for, which is a nice change.

And to Francois: mmmm...I wouldn't say 'let' them. I grew up in the JWs.

#1 I didn't know any better - I led a SUPER sheltered life, and my parents certainly never let me question they might be wrong - even my dad who was not a JW. Kinda upset at that, but nevermind.

#2 I was still living under my parents roof - they kind of get defacto control of your life, then I got married and thought what my wife wanted was a stable 'godly' marriage. (Don't worry, we got better)

Generally, though, I agree with you. It didn't take long into my adult life before I started doing some research and making some decisions - some of my OWN decisions.

EDIT: Strange that last sentence made me feel a little prideful, but I think I like that. I mean, it feels strange to say "I'm making my own decision" and really, REALLY mean it. Not like when you said you were 'making your own decision' not to celebrate a birthday. Or to tell your school counselor it was 'your own decision' not to pursue college courses when they know damn well you'd excel at them.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • ISP
    ISP

I interviewed a client of mine. He had a foreign name and I remarked on it. He said he had come over to this country 8 years ago following the Bosnian-Serb war. The serb neighbour basically knocked on the door one day and shot his father dead and the rest of the family ran for their lives. He needed surgery for multiple gun shot wounds. He was flown over here with the clothes he was wearing essentially. He was allowed to stay. In the time he spent here he has mastered the language and established a restaurant business and was opening up a second. I met his wife also. They had many tales to tell of life over there and over here. Basically, you can achieve and make the best of your situation if the desire is there.

ISP

• ISP
    ISP

Another point....my client said that a great number of Serbs didn't want to work or work hard. They didn't want to get involved with businesses. Most of the businesses in the town were run by Muslims..ie the bakers etc. Muslim homes were very attractive. Serb homes often didn't have carpet or TVs etc. They wondered why some had more than them!!!!The serb that killed his father is still in the house today! It was better than his. He visited the town years later to ID his fathers body.

I wouldn't wait to wonder why some have more than you when you can do so much about it.

ISP

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Xander

I was robbed of an education too...in fact I was a rather studious child and was always streamlined in the academic classes. My mother (JW) took the liberty to visit the school and asked them to put me down into an easier grade as she didn't want me to study languages or the academic choices...rather she wanted me to do cooking, sewing and home crafts...skills to equip me for the new system no doubt lol.

Today I feel inadequate as I know I could have done so much better...BUT...to compensate...I encourage my children to get a good education and find a trade that befits their abilities. It takes time to restructure one's life after being raised in the borg...but it will all fall into place if you stay focused. You have had a lifetime of conditioned thinking...just like many of us....and now we have to readjust ourselves and start to prepare for our retirement and for our children's future in THIS system of things.

I wish you well with your studies...you deserve to find that sense of academic accomplishment...better late then never I say....and you know you're got the ability to do it...so I congratulate you.

I am also considering finishing my degree...I did two years full time study in NZ...and I only have another 2 years full time to complete it....instead I find myself working full time, raising three hungry teenagers, enjoying a new home with my wonderful 'worldly' husband to be who is ridgy didge 'aussie' (NO he's not a cheat either lol)...I've never been more happy even without the degree.

Good luck with your studies and please let us all know when you graduate!!

Cheers
    Beck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit