LeavingWT: Why Never Discuss Doctrine?

by InterestedOne 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Speaking from my own experiences in dealing with my 2nd generation regular pioneer mother, I've trapped her in discussion on doctrine a few times, and the last couple times I watched her actually become physically uncomfortable. Her entire demeanor looked like she was in the room with a known rapist on the lamb. The crazy part about it is the entire time I remained calm and collective while she on the other hand started raising her voice, and her reputation is that of a reasonable and level headed person. It was fascinating in a sense, yet so very troubling to me. My brother and my sister are willing to discuss these things with me, although I'm hesitant to push too hard. My father wasn't a born-in, and he's expressed to me on multiple occasions that there are things in this religion that remind him of Babylon the Great. He even stated emphatically that higher ups in the religion remind him of the Pope. Him not being a born-in and making such comments leads me to believe there's still traces of his non-cult personality present.

My mother on the other hand is a lost cause, and to bring up doctrine and methodically point out the flaws in the WT's belief system, is too much for her to handle. I wonder at times if that plays a role into why the WT might be hesitant to discard certain key beliefs because they're all too aware of people like my mother. Are they concerned that it would be too much for some long time JWs? It'd be like pulling the rug out from under someone.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I wonder at times if that plays a role into why the WT might be hesitant to discard certain key beliefs because they're all too aware of people like my mother. Are they concerned that it would be too much for some long time JWs? It'd be like pulling the rug out from under someone.

I think you are onto something Miz. They milk the doctrines that their members emotionally attach themselves to. Could be why a lot of Witnesses have no idea about the generation flip-flops and why the changes in Witness doctrine is rather subtle. They might have waited too long on the last "this generation" change and now have to do things like skits to get people at Circuit Assemblies to buy the new explanation.

-Sab

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

NRFG wrote:

Her entire demeanor looked like she was in the room with a known rapist on the lamb. The crazy part about it is the entire time I remained calm and collective while she on the other hand started raising her voice

I once calmly asked my JW acquaintance why a rational person should believe -insert xyz JW idea here-. She raised her voice and kept it raised for the remainder of the conversation, talking to me like I was an enemy. She later told me she "should have known better than to 'go there' with you." Now she views me as someone she can't trust to "go there." All because I asked for a rational explanation for a doctrine that -she- preached to me in the first place.

• Fernando
    Fernando

InterestedOne, it is a mistake because you are then playing by their rules, and the god of religion's rules.

Ethnocentrism (attaining self-righteousness by means of following the "right" doctrines) is supremacist, demonic, antichrist, anti-pauline, and anti-gospel.

It falls in exactly the same class as the other 3 pillars of religion namely legalism, moralism and Gnosticism.

Ray Franz it seems may have been able to slip the only single reference to "legalism" (in the entire Watchtower library) into the Awake before he left and was ousted (g79 6/8 pp. 27-28).

Legalism is attaining self-righteousness by means of following the "right" rules. The gospel or "good news" teaches a very different message whereby my dysfunction or sin is IMPUTED to Jesus and his righteousness is IMPUTED to me. This legal transaction is a free gift which cannot be earned, deserved or paid for (as blind Watchtower religionists constantly are striving to do in keeping with 2 Cor 4:4).

• sizemik
    sizemik

My wife and I had a visit after we faded from a long time and fairly good friend. She was aware we were inactive but that's all. We spent about 5 hours catching up on old times and had a BBQ lunch together.

Eventually our status was gently alluded to. The sister asked if there was a problem. Not wanting to raise anything scandalous, we mentioned that some teachings didn't make sense any more. She immediately asked if we were ever going back to the hall. We honestly said "no."

She immediately told us she couldn't stay a moment longer as we were "dangerous" . . . and rapidly departed.

The doctrinal issues never made it onto the table . . . it's all about your "status" in relation to the Org.

We've never seen or heard from her again.

That's the controlled mind reacting.

• Mad Sweeney

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit