LeavingWT: Why Never Discuss Doctrine?

by InterestedOne 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

steve2...nice post!...I think we could all learn a lot from that attitude...and before we get to that place of serenity...we can thrash ideas out with each other instead of wasting time trying to discuss doctrine with a brain washed JW.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

bookmarked to remind myself of the admittedly tempting yet fruitless doctrine enterprise...

• irondork
    irondork

tagged

• sizemik
    sizemik

Song #63 is an excellent example InterestedOne . . .

And there are countless more examples of where WTS appeals to loyalty. The thing about loyalty. . . is that it invokes more of an emotional response than say love of truth . . . which appeals more to logic and reason. Also, being an emotional trigger . . . loyalty is easily fuelled by fear and guilt . . . the two motivational nerve centres WTS constantly appeals to.

Once loyalty to WTS becomes the prime motivation . . . it no longer remains an issue of what is being said . . . but rather who it is that is saying it. A dissenting doctrinal opinion establishes the who . . . not the what . . . and at that point you're dead in the water.

• steve2
    steve2
    A dissenting doctrinal opinion establishes the who . . . not the what . . . and at that point you're dead in the water.

Insightful observation sizemilk! JWs are significantly less troubled by what the other party says than by the fact that by who is speaking. That's why elders remain preoccupied with questioning "doubters" within the organization about their likely suspect motives (I recall one otherwise very understanding elder gently asking me was I looking for a way out of the organization when I confessed to having doubts? Meanwhile, the doubts went unaddressed).

JWs don't care one iota about whether the other party makes sense or speaks logically or has evidence to back up their claims. The fact that the other party questions the Watchtower is good enough reason for the JW to switch on his/her 'apostate' barometer.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I recall one otherwise very understanding elder gently asking me was I looking for a way out of the organization when I confessed to having doubts? Meanwhile, the doubts went unaddressed

This is very typical responce. If you are trying to shake their faith, the trick is to profess to be strong, but you do want an answer to this question because ....insert guilt loaded reason...

You need to give them the incentive to get off their arse and try really hard to answer it, giving them a guilt trip for every way they try to slip the noose. If you know what their stock answers are, ask questions to get them to tighten the knot just before you ask your question. If you don't know the stock answers, shut up.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Another point: If you find yourself having a discussion about doctrine, and the JW says to you, "You do believe this is God's Organization, don't you?", you have only one option, if you want the conversation to continue. You must answer, "Yes, of course." Then, you can continue with thought-provoking questions for which he doesn't have a stock answer.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Well said

"By discussing their doctrine, you basically are opening yourself up to be labeled as an apostate right off the bat. The Society and it's writings are NOT to be questioned nor discussed in any manner other than agreement. It makes them uncomfortable and automatically their defenses go up and their mind shuts down."

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

It is actually fairly simple. Jehovah's Witnesses are under mind control. They have been taught to implicitly trust whatever the governing body tells them. If you begin to discuss anything with them that threatens their faith in the GB......their brains automatically shut off thinking/reasoning powers and go into desperation defense mode. You've now lost the witness' trust

• sabastious
    sabastious
    bookmarked to remind myself of the admittedly tempting yet fruitless doctrine enterprise...

Lol, I second that.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit