The biggest lie

by sizemik 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

sizemik, I think there is still a fear of death that's natural to us as humans. Other species clearly don't WANT to die, as is evidenced by the lengths they will go to for survival. Certain prey animals, for instance, are known to not show signs of severe illness because it would make them more apt to be picked off. None of us wants to die and that's just...normal. Like I said, I'm not afraid of BEING dead, but I do have a certain element of fear when I think about HOW I might die. Death isn't pleasant, whether it's from old age, illness, or an accident. Though some forms are easier than others, I suppose.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Usually, it's dying without fulfilling one's desires that one is actually afraid of. Others are afraid of the pain on the way out, disability and diseases that hit older people, and having wasted one's life doing nothing but rubbish (like pushing washtowel rubbish). Some are afraid of what awaits them after death, particularly religious people afraid of going to hell.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Usually, it's dying without fulfilling one's desires that one is actually afraid of.

A number of you have said this and I think you're probably right . . . the question is what would it take to fulfill all one's desires?

I wonder also about how much of it is our natural survival mechanism manifesting itself in a more latent form. Life threatening situations prompt profound physiological changes . . . all with the function of preserving life and avoiding death or injury. Among those physiological changes are the chemical changes effecting brain function . . . most notably adrenalin. Collectively we refer to this as a manifestation of fear (fight or flight).

Therefore even the meditative contemplation of anything which threatens our existence could induce symptoms normally associated with fear.

Personally I feel the conscious fear of death may well be a higher evolutionary development for humans . . . and the driving force behind so much of human activity.

If the conscious fear of death is a higher evolutionary mechanism . . . then we do better to embrace it.

Also mentioned were the nurturing motives . . . being there for our dependants. Another species survival mechanism?

Death is the greatest threat to our existence . . . and should be avoided if at all possible.

If a man says "I'm not afraid of death" . . . and yet after a narrow escape says "I feared for my life" . . . what is he in fear of?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit