The biggest lie

by sizemik 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

It's the biggest lie that's ever been told . . . a lie I've heard more than any other . . . all through my life I keep hearing it.

Everybody tells it . . . at least once . . . many even come to believe themselves.

I am not afraid of death

• watson
    watson

I'm more afraid of "how I will die" than die-ing itself.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

The fear for me is pain and isolation that often is associated with death and the sadness that life is so short.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Is 'afraid' the right word? I associate that with uncertainty, but there is nothing uncertain about death (or taxes). Obviously, most normal people in good health don't want to go, but eventually... go they must. Sometimes people are more afraid of the unknown alternatives- The civilians who jumped off the cliffs of Okinawa during WWII were more afraid of being captured by the Americans than they were of death.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

I wear death.

JudgeDreadWarlock

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Ya, but you're a KILLER, Judge Dread!

• Azazel
    Azazel

Ive always taken a Sci-fi approach to death.

IF what they preach is correct and if you die you will more than likely be resurrected then death is just a form of Time Travel and hey presto there you are ready for the next 1000 years at least.

or

Its all bollocks and you die and theres nothing but does it matter that your not aware of it? doesnt hurt

or

Hell is very real and im gunna get my arse burnt off every day forever for posting here.

I am with Watson on i would rather miss out the painful bit just before death.

Az

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I have always been relatively unafraid, enjoying pastimes as rock climbing and deep sea diving. Death was never a problem for me, whatever my fate might be. But then I read that’s not completely normal. And seeing that I am a catlover, and having had many cats, the following explanation seems plausible:

Toxoplasmosis (Toxoplasma gondii): It has been found that the parasite has the ability to change the behaviour of its host: infected rats and mice are less fearful of cats—in fact, some of the infected rats seek out cat-urine-marked areas. This effect is advantageous to the parasite, which is able to proliferate if a cat eats the infected rat and thereby becomes a carrier. The mechanism for this change is not completely understood, but there is evidence that toxoplasmosis infection raises dopamine levels and concentrates in the amygdala in infected mice. Estimation: Between 30-65% people have been infected, depending where you live (see Wikipedia on toxoplasmosis).

Bottom line: If you are unafraid, you might have latent toxoplasmosis.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

I think that one of the reasons that people are so afraid of death is not death itself, but it is the realization that they haven’t accomplished all that they should have yet, and there is more that they should do.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I agree, LoneWolf, my father for one. There was still a lot that he wanted to accomplish. He fought the cancer tooth and nail, but that was one battle he could not win. In my case, I think I have done most things I set out to do, so most of the things on my "bucket list" have been ticked off. A certain school of philosophy beliefs that man's ultimate goal is achieving self-worth and recognition by his peers. Those that feel they have not achieved that in full measure, would not be ready to die either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit