Why are JW's so boring?

by howdidtihappen 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It was really hard for me to find interesting conversation when I was in. I simply thought too much. I'm sure that is why I am here now.

I get excited about ideas. But when I would try to discuss such, I was met with blank stares. They already know everything they need to know. Where is the wisdom in immersing oneself in ideas that will die with this system? Right? Why look for solutions when there is only one solution, and it is perfect? Who cares what happens in Somalia--that system will be destroyed too and all the innocents will be resurrected. Besides, worrying about such may tempt one to take a stand that looks political.

So the bible then! When I believed in it, I would study it deeply. And then I would have questions. Like why was the first king of Israel descended from Benjamin and not Judah? Again, they don't care. It doesn't affect their daily routine, it's not a question on the WT, and they don't necessarily think they have a right to know. The FDS has the only clear understanding of the bible, and we simply grasp at dim words that exist in their shadow.

They have all the answers they need. They know exactly what is going to happen in the future. They know the answer to every problem. They are not here to change the world, only to endure it. Pursuing new ideas or studies takes time away from preaching and studying bible based literature. What else is there to talk about?

• designs
    designs

NC-

It is such a myopic view that it leaves only room for the inner JW news to have any meaning. Politics, the environment, hunger, employment, family outside of their own all have little meaning since everything has been painted as demonized or about to end.

• moshe
    moshe

Even the Amish have more interesting topics to discuss than JWs, i.e., how to get more work from your mule on less oats, how to shoe a horse and make it stay on the hoof, why brown chickens are better than white leghorn chickens,

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The isolation is complete and so is the fear complete. If books read, films seen, art shows experienced, bawdy jokes,etc. are off the table. The WT lit is so boring. I dine with seniors in my complex. It is the same thing. TV can't be discussed. These people have already checked out from life. During a hot presidential campaign, politics will not be mentioned. If it were not for wanting to know what was happening throughout the complex, I would not show up.

My JW uncle and aunt though did see proper films. He did photography at Bethel and continued it. They did crafts. It was a strange mixture.

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

Thankyou, that well and truly answers my question! And also explains why someone said I talked too much. It offended me because I used to be a quiet type and only recently came out of my shell and I enjoy conversing with people. Talking too much is someone who never shuts up about themselves or gives the other person a chance to speak. I ask questions because i am interested in people and learning. That's who I am. Since that comment, I don't know what to talk about. I've adopted the term "spiritually upbuilding" already, though.

Here's how one conversation went:

Sister A: Did you hear Kelly and her husband split up?
    Sister B: He was worldly, we knew that would happen.
    Sister A: I feel so bad for her. She was weak.
    Sister B: Well if she had just waited, Jehovah might have had a special pioneer brother for her.

Please don't tell me they judge marriage mates on their standing in the congregation...

• mamalove
    mamalove

They have small worlds. Not much going on. They are not allowed to read much, or watch much or live much, so they don't have exciting convo.

• Norcal_Sun
    Norcal_Sun

Being interested in other topics than the "truth" is considered a lack of spirituality, since any other topic than the Borg is worldy. Even the brothers and sisters that are interested in other stuff quickly learn to shut their mouth and never let anyone suspect that they have other interests in life.

Yep, this was my experience. If you are in mixed JW company it can be very hard to not offend someone or be looked at in a bad light. If I was with my close friends I could talk about more than just the safe topics. I spent my whole life growing up keeping opinions to myself. Unless of course I was around someone I really trusted.

Please don't tell me they judge marriage mates on their standing in the congregation...

Wow you must have been with some Uber Dubs that night!

• jay88
    jay88

The JW's on this board are the best,......

Not at all ===>

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It really is sad. The conversations that do venture into the world are mostly rumour. It's like 1 person reads the main headline and then they just make it up from there.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They have small worlds. Not much going on. They are not allowed to read much, or watch much or live much, so they don't have exciting convo.

Most JDubs have little life experience. The Pew Study shows they are one of the lowest incomes by group, thus not much opportunity to travel and experience other cultures, or enjoy the Arts, or other cultural things that, frankly, require money to do and see. Plus, they tune out politics and world events beyond where it gives them evidence of "we are in the last days -- critical times". (Anyone else remember the old story about the Doctor checking out the old sister regarding dementia, and asking her to name the President? .............Brother Knorr.)

Beyond the new Bible Student bragging rights and "wonderful" Zone Visit conversations, the limits at a JW function are hunting, fishing, sports (obviously not participating, but watching) as those things are important. I even know of one Cong adjusting meeting times to better accommodate plans for field service the (US) football season schedule.

DOC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit