QUESTION: How have Franz books helped you?

by binadub 12 Replies latest jw friends

• binadub
  • Tuesday
    Tuesday

It made me realize that the Governing Body really make the decisions based on their conclusions from their interpretations of the scriptures which is influenced by their peers interpretations along with previous Watchtower articles. When I was in I always thought there was some sort of divine revelation of sorts.

• binadub
  • diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

binadub: you may want to switch to firefox, or ie (compatible mode?) as your posts as blank

The only thing new that I've learned from COC was the way GB deals, I've done all my research prior to DA and only read Ray's book afterwards. For those who haven't done any prior research, COC is a highly recommended. Well written and easy to read for any JW.

• binadub
    binadub

Thanks diamondiiz.

Yes, another poster informed me of the IE incompatibility. I have switched to Firefox (as you can see). I appreciate your input.

I did start another thread, TRY AGAIN, using Firefox which has more questions if you'd like to respond to that one as well.

Thanks again.

~Binadub

• designs
    designs

Reading Fred Franz's Books was like an LSD trip, Ray's Books were like a breath of fresh air.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It was my first ex-jw book. It helped me get rid of the guilt that was hanging on. I was inactive but deep down thought it was the "truth" and I'd have to go back some day. 1/2 was thru not only did i KNOW they are not god's chosen people, I learned that they hurt people, lives, families. All ex-jw's or questioning NEED to read it!

• clarity
    clarity

Revealing what went on with the governing body and how the society was really run was fantastic.

That book helped me to see that I could stand up to these phonies ... and god would not kill me for it!! (later learned the god thing was also highly suspect!)

I could see finally that the 1914 date of jesus return, the 1935 date the heavenly calling ended, 1975 was fiction by freddy franz etc ... was a whole lot of garbage ... a complete FRAUD!!

Thank you Ray!!!!!

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

1) How have Franz's books influenced (or not) you? Also Carl Olof Jonsson's and Jim Penton's?

I found Jim Penton's book in the Bethel Legal Dept. library. I read only small portions of it and checked out the sources in my personal WT library. Later I purchased Ray Franz' two books. All three books confirmed suspicions I had had for nearly 20 years, and they helped build up my courage to leave JWs. Even so, I trembled at the thought, having been led to believe that "independent thinking" was of the Devil and that possibly I was bringing God's condemnation upon myself for even thinking that the WT Society was wrong.

2) Do you understand Jonsson's chronology arguments and their effect on the parousia doctrine?

Yes.

3) Would you like an alternative religion to the Watchtower organization? If so, what do you think it should offer?

No. I feel there are other denominations that adhere more closely to Jesus' Sermon on the Mount than the WT Society does. I don't believe in the Trinity or hell-fire, etc., but I've found churches that do not make an issue of these doctrines. I also believe a church denomination or building are unnecessary. Jesus said he would be present if merely two or three were gathered together in his name. Still, singing hymns and sharing in prayer and conversation with larger groups is heart-warming and encouraging.

4) Are you familiar with Channel C.

Yes. I became aware of it about 3 years after leaving JWs, but I found this forum (JWD) less than a year after leaving.

5) What do you think is the most influencial medium for JWs leaving the religion? Forums like this? Books? Other exJWs?

Forums and personal contacts with other exJWs.

6) Do you know who the current WT leaders are?

Yes.

• scotoma
    scotoma

I remember when Crisis of Conscience first came out. I was a loyal JW. I found the book at the public library which I visited often. I looked it over briefly and purposely put it in the wrong section so people couldn't find it. Every time I went to the library I did that as a matter of "duty".

Eventually I started reading it. It was like taking the face off of a clock and seeing all the gears. You have a rough idea how things work but his books gave an unsusual view. I was surprised that the stuff that I hated in the local congregation went all the way to the top. Mind you I already believed that the flood was at best a local event and I reasoned that god used evolution as the mechanism for creation so I can't credit his books with having a huge influence. In fact I eventually became an athiest and pittied Ray for being trapped in his beliefs. Maybe its not so bad. He died with a hope that when he closed his eyes he would wake up in a better place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit