The Crux of the Matter For Me

by MrDarkKnight 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

Thanks for the thread MrDarkKnight. Definitely makes you wonder how "God's org" can't answer such simple questions.

CoC

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I was thinking on similar lines today, the whole 'prove it with a scripture thing'...

the fact is they can't. If you do not allow them to go skipping from one end of the gobbldegook to the other and back snatching phrases and phoney contexts along the way, they are mute.

They can prove nothing

oz

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

@thetrueone...In my early 20s I spent a lot of time reading the writings of Russell and that is when my doubts about what I was taught began to surface...I was discouraged from reading the old WTs because they were "old light". I agree that what started out as an honest evaluation of the Bible by Russell has morphed into the very thing the JWs criticize, a religous system with a clergy and laity, inumerable and ever changing rules and regulations and a stubborn adherence to beliefs that cannot be supported by Scripture but must just simply be believed.

@cptkirk...trust me people on levels of this organziation do what they want to do in private...

@aussie oz...in many cases you have to suspend reality and just believe what they FDS states...and that's the problem...

@startingover...the 607 thing has been discussed in great detail on this forum...the latest articles on the subject can be distilled into the WT standard for ignoring critics of their prophetic interpretations: "We are God's channel of communication and you are not. We are right and everyone else is wrong. We are sincere and historians are not. So there." Most JWs did not even read the articles and most of those who did could not explain the gist of the so-called defense of 607. The just believe.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Welcome Dark Knight

and agree with Kirk almost stoped reading when you glorified the troll

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Everything I was taught from the age of 7 until I left a year ago was governed by assumptions.

You're still governed by assumptions.....

1. What scripture (s)....

2. What scripture (s)....

3. What scripture (s)....

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Marked

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Mr DK,

I was not raised a jw but i've spent a fair amount of time in the org. You're right about the people many of them were very nice, kind, funny, looking for good things. I miss many of them and I enjoyed their company however truth is very important to me and i couldn' fake it. At a certain point in my desire to understand more and more I found more than I expected. I could not in good conscience continue to go to people's doors with something that was unraveling in my mind. It is my fervent wish that the wtbs will crumble and die because even though there are many sincere people it isn't the truth and it is causing a great deal of pain.

It isn't easy to walk out but I cannot continue to empower them so you just have to take the hit and go on .

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Everything I was taught from the age of 7 until I left a year ago was governed by assumptions. I assumed that there was and FDS. I assumed that it had a GB. I assumed that the 144,000 teaching was correct. I assumed that the New World Translation Committee was qualified, knew the languages involved and made an error free translation. I assumed that that NWT was correct in every way and without dispute.

Those are massive and life altering assumptions. Have you read Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan? There is a documented pyschological reason why you were able to hold onto these assemptions for so long without realizing they were just assumptions. Glad you are here on the forum with us.

-Sab

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

a religious system with a clergy and laity, inumerable and ever changing rules and regulations and a stubborn adherence to beliefs that cannot be supported by Scripture but must just simply be believed.

Correct this was pretty much the same reason I left, I didn't find " The Truth " there or I found it had been maligningly adulterated

for and on expressed agenda to proliferate literature and the procuring empowerment of men who were really quite intellectually dishonest.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ditto, almost word for word... what dear Nancy Drew (peace to you!) posted, dear MDK (peace to you, as well!). As for your address to dear Mank (peace to you, as well... who and whatever you are)... you have to realize that there is no way for him TO respond as you've requested (as you know); however, you realize also, do you not, that he will want you to construe his silence on these matters as a way of [validly] saying "You don't deserve answers, you apostate, you!"... rather than honestly saying that he can't answer... from the scriptures/Bible? I'm sure you do.

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit