Education Policy

by Martin Harker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think the education policy does help to control people, certainly, but it may not be exactly the reason it came about

I think it is exactly the reason it came about. When they saw that educated people leave, they sought to control the education. I don't believe there mindset set is that the big A is around the corner so concentrate on spiritual things---but I do believe that is how they sell it to their followers. But high on the list of reasons to not go to college, are that the ideas introduced can make one weak, and even *gasp* an atheist. ( I read that in a mag years ago).

All 3 things you mentioned were absoutely about control.

And in JW speak---critical thinking = independent thinking. Independent thinking = rebellion and arrogance. They ask followers to shut down large portions of their reasoning ability that they are so fond of speaking about. They convince everyone they are reasoning from the scriptures while trying to prevent them from getting the tools to do that effectively.

NC

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome. The following comment was a really interesting observation that I had not contemplated before.

They state that University leads to immorality and drug taking.... I ended up working as a cleaner and then in a factory where there was a lot of drug taking for recreation at weekend and at work and sexual immorality also.

Drugs and immorality are more of a problem amongst the uneducated than amongst university graduates. See some of the following studies.

" ... lower education predicts a higher risk of death in IDUs and its impact is stronger after 1997. Education has a protective effect on most causes of death ... " http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/36/1/187.full Effect of education on overall and cause-specific mortality in injecting drug users, according to HIV and introduction of HAART

http://www.ahrn.net/library_upload/uploadfile/us0021.pdf shows higher injecting drug use amongst African Americans that drop out of highschool compared with University graduates.

The following article found a relationship in Sweden between low education levels and injecting drug use, and mixing of multiple medications.

"The influence of educational level on polypharmacy and inappropriate drug use: a register-based study of more than 600,000 older people." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19054196 "Subjects with low education had a higher probability of polypharmacy (odds ratio (OR)=1.11, 95% confidence interval (CI)=1.10-1.12), excessive polypharmacy (OR=1.15, 95% CI=1.13-1.17), and potential IDU (OR=1.09, 95% CI=1.07-1.17), after adjustment for age, sex, comorbidity, and type of residential area (urban or rural). Decreasing educational attainment was associated with a higher probability of using three or more psychotropic drugs and potential DDIs, whereas the opposite association was observed for anticholinergic drugs. Long-acting benzodiazepines showed no association. Elderly women with low education were slightly more likely to have polypharmacy, excessive polypharmacy, and potential IDU than men with low education. Overall, the ORs were modest and statistically significant because of the large sample size."

• scotoma
    scotoma

They say it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. I totaled up the hours I've spent going out in service, getting ready for meetings, attending meetings, studying for meetings, personal study, attending assemblies, pre-convention work, writing talks etc. etc.

Grand total approx. 40,000 hours.

I am an expert at nothing.

• Ding
    Ding

It's never too late to go college.

A lot of colleges have night classes for adults who work during the day.

Yes, it's harder but if it's your dream, don't let the WTS keep you away once you're free.

• 2tone
    2tone

I went to college for four years right after high school. I was always asked at the hall when are you going to graduate. Got really sick of people asking me that. People were always badmouthing education during the watchtower study. I finished my degree then I questioned the religion. I figured out it was all a lie. They want people ignorant so they wont get decent jobs and have to rely on the watchtower.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Despite being forced to have no education, one can always learn.

'I dropped out of school in the 8th grade, but I have over 4000 books in my library and I've read them all, some 30 or 40 times! Before I could afford books I spent lots of time in libraries. In America, there is no excuse for not educating yourself. Success starts with education.'

https://twitter.com/markminervini/status/1423662860790599683

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Growing up, I went in field service every blasted Sat. and Sunday after the morning meeting. Neither parent ever took me to to the county or city library. The only library I needed was in back of the Kingdom Hall.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I figured out it was all a lie. They want people ignorant

Yup that's because the leaders of the organization need to keep lying to people to keep them ignorant so they can be exploited and manipulated for the long term sustainable structure of the organization.

Part of the sequence of lies is telling people this organization is Jehovah's chosen earthly organization, yet it is full of apostasy, lies and corruption in a framework of brotherly love and smiles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit