Iamallcool

Thanks for posting this.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Welcome Lama.

Bangalore

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

one stupid person who ruined in ignorance the lives of millions without knowing and thinking he was really gonna go to heaven and rule with some mythological character.

There is no much difference between this guy and the pharaos in egypt who thought they were going to live in the afterlife

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks for posting. I met him a couple of times - chatted briefly as we knew a few people in common. He seemed a decent enough guy - a kindly old man. Probably the last of the "old school". How much of a communal responsibilty he shares for some of the damaging GB policies - who knows? Franz doesn't say much about him - I would imagine he was something of a lightweight , probably something of a moderating force.

Sadly - the "ready to listen to a point of view that differed from his own" and "profound humility" , if true , certainly doesn't apply to the current hard line governing body.

And I thought that it wasn't appropriate to eulogise dead ones - that doesn't seem to apply to GB members who get the full commemorative brochure treatment.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Oh so they eulogise the bloody GB who die eh?

print a brochure for a rank and file's funeral and i wonder what would happen?

oz

• sir82
    sir82
    print a brochure for a rank and file's funeral and i wonder what would happen?

Actually, most of the JW funerals I've attended in recent years have had a brochure eulogizing the deceased. The family typically puts together a 4-pager not unlike the one shown above - maybe not in color, nor with so many pictures, but similar.

Since the memorial talk outline has instructions "not to eulogize" in the deceased in its instructions, a brochure is the workaround that most JWs use to fulfill this basic human need.

Barr was definitely the last of the old school on the GB. There may be a handful of "earthly hope" old timers still in Bethel who were at least semi-prominent in the Knorr/Franz heyday, but they're undoubtedly very marginalized now, seen as a sort of "emeritus" and not really influencing anything that is going on now.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Printing such brochures is done as a rule here - and contrary to what you imply, "nothing happens". It is a common thing. And Barr was perhaps the last of his kind - and very gentle and mild.

• ekruks
    ekruks

Printing a brochure is no big deal - often seen them at JW funerals, or a flyer with a photo and short life story.

dozy, I get the impression that John Barr was rather shy, well-meaning, but misguided man - as were many of us at times! - and the phrases the "ready to listen to a point of view that differed from his own" and "profound humility" are really meaning that he was walked-over by others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit