Got invited to Sundays pep rally

by WasOnceBlind 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    So my mom who sadly is still in the "truth" asked me if I was going to the circuit assembly this Sunday. She knows I don't go to meetings anymore but usually when she would mention the assemblies I would say yes and go pretty much just for her sake. However, this time I couldn't bring my self to saying yes, I've been reading "Crisis of Conscience" and I just can't bring my self to go anymore, even if it's for my mother. I wish my parents would learn TTATT so we could be a happy family. It breaks my heart everytime my kid asks why grandma/grandpa don't come to his birthdays or any other holiday for that matter.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just tell you dont have the $10.50 per head that thier charging now.
  • WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    Wait! What???!! They charge now??? I remember for the District Assembly they use to charge for parking if you weren't wearing your ID card, they stopped that after a while thought.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Definitely don't go! It would be torture. Take your kid on a nice nature hike that day, tell your mom you just wouldnt enjoy it.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Go late, at intermission and visit the folks and anyone else, then leave when the program begins again.

Doc

• sir82
    sir82

They charge now???

It's not an "admission fee", but the circuit bigwigs have a number that is the amount of "expected" contributions. They divide that number by the number of publishers in the circuit. It might come out to something like the $10.50 mentioned.

The circuit bigwigs will tell the elders that they are expecting $10.50 per head.

In the afternoon of the last session, they compare the amount they are expecting with the amount they have collected. Inevitably there is a "shortfall" or "deficit".

The "deficit" is completely bogus. Actual expense for the assembly day might be 3 or 4000 dollars, but the "target contributions" might be $20,000. If they've collected $15,000 so far, there is a "deficit" of $5000, even though they have collected 500% of the amount to cover true expenses.

Circuit assemblies and regional conventions are absolute cash cows foe the WTS. They rake in gobs of money with virtually no expenses.

• steve2
    steve2

Religion is a snare and a racket.

Don't pass the plate for visitors to contribute - instead sneakily work out a per-publisher cash contribution for each circuit.

Maintain an appearance of being Free with No Collections and, with the other hand, rake in da moohla.

• WasOnceBlind
    WasOnceBlind
    Ended up not going. My mom asked me Saturday night if I was going, I told her I didn't know. I ended up not going and taking the family to a baseball game instead. Unfortunately my mom watches my son for me (picks him up from school) so I will go and have to pick him up and be interrogated by my dad as to why I didn't go.
  • pronomono
    pronomono
    This was my first missed special talk......and it felt kind of special. I got invited to it too. My wife and I haven't been to too many meetings lately and we got a call from one of our elders inviting us. Just said thanks, lol. This was also the first meeting I've ever been invited too. It feels a little weird being on the other side of the equation. I'm glad I'm not the one doing the inviting anymore. I hate having put people through that.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You can just be honest and tell them that baseball sounded a lot more fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit