Salvation Army--is it a high control group?

by rebel8 17 Replies latest jw friends

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Do you mean you would have felt obliged to say yes?

• tec
    tec

Obliged, no. But rude to say no... yeah. Of course, I believe so it is a moot point with me.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Hm. That makes sense. It is what makes me uncomfortable with mixing charity with religion practices. Even if help isn't conditional it may lookmlike it is to someone who needs help.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Do they insist the people they help attend religious services of any kind?

I am not sure. I've heard they push homosexuals to attend seminars to turn them straight.

I know the Rescue Mission here does. Also staff are required to take turns leading prayers before staff meetings.

*there is no appropriate emoticon for this*

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Several years ago I interviewed for a part time case worker position at a Salvation Army post. I decided against working for them due to the restrictions they put on some of the assistance they offer. For instance, the SA will help poor people with the cost of prescription drugs but refuse to do so in the case of medicines for mental illness. That sounds just a little too much like Scientology for my taste. I continued to donate during their holiday kettle drives but have decied to stop doing that upon recently learning their stance on homosexuality.

IMO the only way to successfully communicate with any high control group is to hit them in the wallet. It isn't any different with the Watchtower. If the donations dry up, so will they. Although the SA does a lot for charity, they won't be doing it with my money from now on. Bigotry is bigotry, even if it's covered up with good works.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A quick search of the net didn't find me a multitude of disgruntled SA apostates.

This comment on a Topix forum sounds very familiar to me.

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/salvation-army/T8VU2198BLGDN7CTP

Sorry you fel treated badly by a Christian organisation. However, you were employed by God and maybe should have left your concerns with him and carried on helping others less fortunate than yourself. I know, I worked for the Army until I retired, and know its faults but there is reason the SA was brought into existence. don't criticise, certainly point out errors if you think you have a genuine case, but the Lord needs you to work for him despite life's little petty squabbles.

• ekruks
    ekruks

The Sally Ally do seem to do more to help people than JWs

• GromitSK
    GromitSK
    The Sally Ally do seem to do more to help people than JWs

I would imagine virtually every religious organisation could say that - and many secular ones? I guess what I find curious is the motivation. If an organisation only looks after its own, or those it is trying to make its own, perhaps the act is helpful but the purpose dishonest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit