Have any other religion flip-flopped doctrinally?

by stillstuckcruz 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I am attempting to see if a comparison can be made to other religions. Obviously we all know that JW's have fip-flopped on many doctrinal issues. But are there any other religions and cults that have done this? Better yet, any other cults that claim "truth" and "holy spirit guidance" that have done this?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Mormons.

Missouri was supposed to be the New Jerusalem, but Missouri would not put up with them. So, magically, Utah is now the New Jerusalem. They just had to kill the natives, first, but it was ok because Native American tribes are the evil Lamenites.

• sir82
    sir82

I think pretty much every religion flip-flops, particularly when it suits them or they are threatened.

Catholics have 2000 years of flip-flopping. JWs have a long way to go to catch up.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Worldwide Chucrch of God after Herbert Armstrong died. They were very similar to JW's during Armstrong's tenure, and after his death the church repudiated his teachings and embraced more orthodox Christian doctrine (ie: Trinity, Hell, etc.).

• james_woods
    james_woods

I believe that the Anglicans have decided to appoint both gays and women into their clergy.

I can vaguely recall the Southern Baptists having a high-pressure debate at their main convention some years ago on bible - vs. - scientific issues, and as I recall they have given up the literal seven days of creation.

And, of course, as has been said - the Catholics have had to make numerous changes in doctrine over the years.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

I think pretty much every religion flip-flops, particularly when it suits them or they are threatened.

Catholics have 2000 years of flip-flopping. JWs have a long way to go to catch up.

Prove it.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/jesus_michael_angel_archangel.html

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I don't know much about it but Catholics have had some flip-flops, I believe the pope said condoms are now okay for male prostitutes or something because of HIV. Also I believe they just changed something about their Mass.

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

Lots of flip flops in every religion. Those who deny it are mentally insane.

And jonathan dough, there is no need to "prove it", instead give me a religion you do not believe has flip flopped doctrinally and I will easily offer you "proof".

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I don't know much about it but Catholics have had some flip-flops, I believe the pope said condoms are now okay for male prostitutes or something because of HIV. Also I believe they just changed something about their Mass.

There was also that little issue (r.e. Gallileo) about whether the earth was the literal center of the universe.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

James, none of those things you list (or quote) are issues of a change of Catholic doctrine, just providential judgments or governance--both of which can change. The Catholic church could choose to allow priests to marry tomorrow, and it wouldn't be a doctrinal flip flop either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit