"Flawed Faith vs. Loss of Faith"

by leavingwt 28 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Nonsense - an atheist only has to teach their child to beleive nothing without sufficient evidence. To doubt all claims of special knowledge, to submit to nobodys opinion, and to laugh at people who use threats of eternal punishment or promises of eternal rewards as a reason to believe anything.

Funny, I tend to teach those same things.

Of course, each person must decide for themselves what is considered 'sufficient' evidence.

(Well, I try not teach my children to laugh at people for their beliefs... but certainly to apply that whole doubt and non-submission to opinion thing. And then show them 'with evidence' how those threats are misplaced/misapplied.)

That's easy, all references to the supernatural are delusional.

You KNOW that? Or you believe that?

For the record, I don't really think there is a supernatural. I think all things are natural (including God, the miracles of Christ, etc.) ... we just use supernatural to describe the things we don't understand yet; and haven't yet observed scientifically.

Peace,

Tammy

• cofty
    cofty

For the record, I don't really think there is a supernatural. I think all things are natural (including God, the miracles of Christ, etc.)

Semantics.

• tec
    tec

Yes, imo, it is better for a young publisher to remain in a faulty Christian religion than to lose all faith in God.

Disagree. It makes no sense.

Better to leave a lie, than to remain in a lie and hope you have some semblance of a relationship with God... though it is based on a lie.

If something is a lie, then get out of it.

Close to the truth/closest to the truth = not the truth.

I mean, if you are in a lie (a faulty religion in this case), then what makes you think you know anything about God or about what He wants from you?

Peace,

Tammy

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

Condescending Christianity practiced under the delusion that by condemning others, one is somehow helping others.

I'm an atheist. But I can see how a family raised by Christian principles can be incredibly happy and productive members of society. A Christian's belief in Jesus doesn't bother me. Believe in Sky Muppets for all I care. Just don't tell me that I am destined for failure because I don't subscribe to your brand of belief.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

My kids are very well balanced but I ensure they know why no god exists so that they can't be fooled by religious tosh. Whenever they've come home from church it only takes a few minutes of questions before they admit that nothing they have heard has anything to back it and they are able to reject it. My oldest was at a church sleep over where the other girls were saying that she just needs to try harder to feel the spirit of god to which she replied that she doesn't feel it so she's not going to try harder. I was very proud of her ability to stand up amongst her peers and cut straight to the logical heart of the problem.

My family is just as happy now as it was when we were all zombies for Christ. We just know why we're happy now and it's nothing to do with blessings or divine fortune.

• tec
    tec

My kids are very well balanced but I ensure they know why no god exists

Which was my point to Cofty. Every parent passes on what they believe is right and true - believer OR non-believer. Kids then have the right to keep it; discard it; or simply find their own way.

Peace,

tammy

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    I tend to teach those same things.
    Of course, each person must decide for themselves what is considered 'sufficient' evidence.

(Well, I try not teach my children to laugh at people for their beliefs... but certainly to apply that whole doubt and non-submission to opinion thing. And then show them 'with evidence' how those threats are misplaced/misapplied.)

Me too! Especially this one.

threats of eternal punishment or promises of eternal rewards as a reason to believe anything.
  • ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

They are dooming them if this is the case.

Doom! Really? Oh my god do you really have to think about your child's future in terms of doom if she doesn't ask jebus into her heart or some such cliche? How totally depressing. You are right. I didn't word things very well. My god is faithful in perfect justice and I am not worried for my family members the way JWs are.

as a side note, I don't have to preach to my daughter. She sees my life.

And my children see mine. How arrogant to think a christian life is a better example. Your words, not mine. You don't know what I mean. I am not talking about morals or example. I am talking about how my life is changing. My parenting improving as I understand unconditional love and the correct use of authority. Fruit of the spirit and faith. Mark 10:29 being fulfilled before the eyes of all. God using me to pull others out of the cult.

Love, Joy, Peace in the face of trials, truly a miraculous gift.

• tec
    tec

Yes, I've never taught those (threats of eternal punishment/reward) as a reason to believe either, Shades.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit