The "Generation." what is the latest New Light Regarding It? CO from Fresno Area Confused Me!

by AvocadoJake 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

The CO who is covering the Central Valley, mentioned how easy this concept is to understand. In his talk, he said many of the friends had made a "big deal, over little." . He used the "Titanic analogy, used the Space Shuttle analogy." I still don't know what he is talking about, I still don't know who made this new light, so confusing? Was this the famous Gaff from the Annual Meeting five years ago, by one of the senile men of fame? What is the history and how many times has this little gem changed, moved over, for new light?

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Without saying it, wts is implying the bible generation is one of an event which can mean any age of a person witnessing an event. They don't explain it that way yet. They use a confusing explanation. Your CO has it right, but doesn't clue in what he's saying. It's no longer generation that seen 1914 but a generation of Last Days event or maybe of Christ's Presents event. They haven't told us that part yet. Either way, this generation can last forever if Armageddon doesn't come because as long as you're living during the invisible presents or last days you are part of that generation "seeing" the sign - even if it's invisible sign.

I think, wts used a dubious 2 men overlapping generation not to scare jws that the end may never come in their life time. It is obvious if they came out and said it outright that the bible refers to the generation of last days event or Jesus' present's event some may question the validity of that explanation. Their explanation in the wt is more related to chronological generation not event one. I'm assuming that they are leading JWs slowly into accepting generation that will span forever or until Armageddon comes - take your pick.

• Alfred
    Alfred

The "Nu-Lite" is that ONE Generation = TWO Overlapping Generationsbecause Exodus 1:6 says so...

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I am not familiar with the Titanic and Space Shuttle analogies. I would be interested in hearing more about them.

However there have been 6 understandings of what the 'Generation' is in Watchtower history.

1) From C.T. Russell's time.

A generation of contemporaries, "people living contemporaneously ... In other words the signs mentioned will occur within a generation - epoch in the close of an age" (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol 4, p. 602, 603)

2) From Judge Rutherford's time.

The anointed. "The irresistible conclusion therefore is that Jesus referred to the new creation [the anointed] when he said: "This generation will not pass away..." ...some members of the new creation will be on earth at the time of Armageddon" (W 2-15-1927, p. 62)

3) From the early 1950s.

The 1914 generation. Those born before (later changed to during) 1914. "Some persons living A.D. 1914 when the series of events began will also be living when the series ends with Armageddon. All the events will come within the span of a generation." (W 9-1-1952, p. 543)

This view was held the longest, for several decades from about the early 1950s until 1995.

4) From 1995.

The general population of earth's wicked people. "Therefore in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of the earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways." (W 11-1-1995, p. 19)

This was the least comprehensible one to me. I never really saw how it made much sense. It seems to be similar to the first view, a general generation of people living contemporaneously when the end comes, but witht the emphasis on them being wicked.

5) From 2008.

The anointed. "As a class, these anointed ones make up the modern-day "generation" of contemporaries that will ot pass away "until all these things occur."" (W 2-15-08, p. 24)

This one seems to be another throw-back, to the second view, a re-adoption of previously abandoned 'old light'.

6) From 2010.

The overlapping generation theory. "He [Jesus] evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." (W 4-15-2010)

I suppose with this view, the Watchtower could keep 'overlapping' the generations as far into the future as they needed to, and still call it 'the generation' that Jesus referred to.

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

In other words, they have no idea what Jesus was talking about? Good night or Good morning to you, where ever you are! bye!

• Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

I agreed with Diamondiiz,

They play confusing to extend the big A! Every part from 607 BC, 1914 and this generation is invisible.

DS

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

I can tell you what is not confusing. They want your donations. And offer options on how you can that. And will make it convient for you.

• irondork
    irondork

Titanic? Shuttle?

One is rotting on the ocean floor and the other is retired and no longer flying. Could that be the analogy?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

When is that crazy holy spirit gonna get it right? Especially when it directed the GB to go back to old old old lite.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Avocado,

Check out this link, it's a chart of all the changes in the generation teaching.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9003/generation1.jpg

Truthseeker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit