Im a mormon

by deservingone26 55 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

And a big LOL for comparing Unitarians to JW's.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Joseph Smith did not just practise polygamy ( which is a biblical concept condoned by god ) he practised polyandry, marrying women already married ( he sent some husbands on missions then married their wives) and perhaps most disgustingly, from a modern viewpoint, had sex with young teenagers.

Emme, his first wife, was kept in the dark, was understandably distraught and furious ( she kicked out at least one of his partners who he'd married in secret ) and so Joseph responded with a revelation to keep her in her place.

51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to a prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.

52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, a receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.

53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been a faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.

54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and a cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be b destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.

Mormon polyandry had another terrible consequence, since pure Mormonism in its untempered 1800s form involved rigid Priesthood hierarchies, your Priesthood leader could receive a revelation and take your wife and children as his own. So the worst thing you could do in Utah was marry a beautiful young woman while a lowly priesthood holder as you could find yourself a cast off if someone like Brigham Young noticed your wife at one of the dances or other social events. If you decided to fight the situation you would be found guilty of some sin and cast out or you could just knuckle down and let your wife and children go.

Sick.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I accept that God is the Holy Spirit, God is the Father and God is Jesus, but I don't know about accepting the Trinity doctrine, as there are more specifics in there that I am not so sure about.

• tec
    tec

We all understand according to our limitations and/or capabilities; our strengths and/or our weaknesses.

But if He has accepted us, faults and weaknesses and all, then no one else has the right (and especially not the ability) to say that we are rejected, or not 'true' christians; or whatever.

The spirit speaks much louder than words/doctrines.

Peace,

Tammy

• ShadesofGrey
  • ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    Jeremiah 23:23 I am a God who is everywhere and not in one place only. (GNT)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit