Anyone ever went from Athiesm to Theism?

by Silent_Scream 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding
    None of this means that conversion from atheism can't happen. I'm sure it can. But I certainly don't believe every story I hear either.

Fair enough. Virtually all of us on JWN swallowed wholesale things JWs, elders, etc. told us without checking it out. All I'm saying is that people who are interested in what those converts from atheism to theism thought ought to check out first hand what they had to say rather than simply relying on stereotypes or someone else's conclusions.

I'm sure there are many here who don't care what those people thought one way or the other. So be it. I was just responding to the question Silent Scream asked in the title of his thread and giving some names. Then SS expressed further interest so I gave some more information. If anyone is interested in learning more, by all means check out the statements and lives of those men and make up your own mind about them and about what they had to say.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I would certainly be interested if someone like Hitchens ( before he got ill ) converted since at least he'd be able to explain why very clearly. A genuine atheist to belief conversion would certainly be an interesting viewpoint.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Related. . .

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/190395/1/Ex-Atheists-What-Changed-Your-Mind

PS: I thought Francis Collins was a Christian, not a Deist. I could be wrong, however.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Neither Deists nor Theists nor Atheists hold a monopoly on being vulnerable to low points in their life. Sometimes things happen that make someone question their beliefs - no matter how strong - and depending on who's around at the time to talk to, we can all be susceptible to grabbing hold of something that makes us feel better and more productive. That's why (in my opinion) it's important to continue the journey of asking questions and seeking answers that are based on logic. I can absolutely see how it's possible to switch back and forth because we're all little universes to ourselves and tend to see the world and everything around us through our own perception of how our lives are going, whether well or poorly. By taking yourself out of the equation things tend to clear up very quickly.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

By taking yourself out of the equation things tend to clear up very quickly.

I like people who know to do this about the important stuff. I like the way you think.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi Six!

I like how you think too, darlin

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hiyas poopsiecakes. we should put our heads together and save the world, or sumthin'

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

JW's love quoting Anthony Flew, and sending around his interview due to the following quote:

"If I wanted any sort of future life I should become a Jehovah’s Witness"

Presumably, he means he likes the JW concept of living forever on earth. However, Flew became a Theist, not a Christian. His comment immediately preceding the one on JW's explains that he is a theist due to the problem of evil, he does not believe in a personal God.

"Given your great respect for Christianity, do you think that there is any chance that you might in the end move from theism to Christianity?

FLEW: I think it’s very unlikely, due to the problem of evil. But, if it did happen, I think it would be in some eccentric fit and doubtfully orthodox form: regular religious practice perhaps but without belief."

See http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/flew-interview.pdf

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

before i become a theist i want to become a satanist i think it would be more fun

• alias
    alias

If anyone is interested in learning more, by all means check out the statements and lives of those men and make up your own mind about them and about what they had to say.

Thanks, Ding, for affirming the usefulness of doing our own research in our search for answers.

I am particularly interested in reading Lee Strobel's experience in 'The Case for Christ' to learn more about his Atheism-to-Theism journey and have the book he wrote about it (which I plan to read over the next few weeks).

The church he is affilated with is popular in our area, and although I'm not looking for a church, I am interested in reading about people's experiences and perspective on the BIG QUESTIONS — undoubtedly the reason why I've been lingering around here on-and-off for a dozen years.

alias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit