What's The Biggest Difference In Today's JWs And The Witnesses From Decades Ago?

by minimus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Witnesses that knew what they were supposed to believe (I'm shocked at how many are clueless about WTS teachings now

LOL

The older ones that used to know what they taught, deny they ever taught that.

Young and old deny some of the crazy stuff they currently teach.

It's impossible to have an intelligent conversation with them unless you have their literature in your hot little hand, and then they want to change the subject or trash your character and motives.

I had one tell me they had read the Oct 607 article and didn't understand it. It doesn't bother them one bit. "Ignorance is bliss!", my father used to say about the Catholics, now that is all my family wants.

• JAFO
    JAFO

Oz.. I remember those dramas we kids would put on at the hall.. I was nervous as hell, the time I played Jesus!

Years later, I caught up with the brother who organised those.. he'd gotten out of the borg.. not sure if that was before or after his wife ran off with another bloke, though..

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Decades ago they thought they had it all figured out. Today they try not to think too much at all.

Great thread.

• designs
    designs

Dinosaurs were wiped out at the Flood. Fossils that are millions of years old are only 10-20,000 years old. There were no humans before Adam.

The junk we were taught.

• moshe
    moshe

I never ran into an apostate or ex-JW out in field service from 1972 until I quit going out about 14 years later- and now we are everywhere--- I wouldn't be surprised that a pioneer would meet someone they can't talk to every week. Back in the day, there were still elderly JWs alive who were alive when JWs were chosen as THE one true earthly religion by God in 1919- that connection with the past- and the original 1914 generation is gone.

Bad publicity for JWs was rare- the bad conduct of individual JWs was kept local and under the rug- not so today, the internet has a negative JW story to shame a JW every week. They are depressed for a good reason.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

They've become far more numbers-oriented, especially with regards to their ministry. The people they encounter in the ministry are secondary to making their service report look good. The process of converting someone through the door to door ministry has almost become a forgotten art.

• extractor
    extractor

I've found it's impossible to engage a JW in a disscussion about the religion because he doesn't seem to know what his own religion even is. Any question they can't answer (which is most) is met with the response, "What's your motive?" My motive is a conversation about your religion! Isn't that why you're here?

My favorite JW statement to me: "I don't know. We're just goin' by faith."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I was going in, it was almost a fad. Seems that just about everyone was becoming Jehovah's Witlesses during much of the 1980s. And, I can remember getting into debates with Pentecostals. No, they didn't go anywhere--but it was merely a wasted time issue back in those days. After all, if my faith was on solid ground, it should be able to stand up to whatever any born-agains or Pentecostals could throw at it.

These days, however, it is much more wimpy. You get into the wimpiest debate, you are supposed to cut the call short. Never mind that it is possible that your faith will be stronger than theirs. If things don't go exactly as they do in demonstrations at the Kingdumb Hell, the call is ended.

That isn't the only thing that has gotten wimpier. Back in the 1980s, I remember gatherings where the witlesses would rent a pavilion in a park. There would be something like 40 or 50 of them, and they would play various games. I have seen them play baseball and touch football. They would have a cookout (bees and all). The music would be what you would expect to find on a soft rock/adult contemporary station, but that is better than Kingdumb Maladies. Boasting sessions would have a touch more variety back then, and a rare slide show.

Now, it is all gone. There are no more of these gatherings--during the 1990s, the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger has narrowed them down. Invariably, an isolated incident of fornication or drug use was cited, and these gatherings have shriveled. The boasting sessions lost all their variety, as comments are now all virtually read from the paragraph. No more book studies as separate meetings, no more goodie nights. The format is virtually the same at every boasting session, and the material is always the same crap. Even the singing (if you can call the sounds of dying cats "music" or "singing") is wretched--just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In the early days "New Light" inspired confidence in the whole scheme. Now it is laughable and unquestioning allegiance is required OR ELSE. It just wasn't quite so militant in days passed. The tighter the squeeze on personal liberties the greater the resistance. It's only natural.

• minimus
    minimus

JWs actually believed that they were more educated than anyone with a university education because they were educated by Jehovah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit