What's The Biggest Difference In Today's JWs And The Witnesses From Decades Ago?

by minimus 93 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I believe today's Witnesses lack ZEAL, resolve, "Love" of the "Truth"......just to name a few things.

Years ago, Witnesses were EXCITED to knock on doors and tell people they were gonna die if they didn't accept paradise.

Now, when you see JWs in service, they all look zombied out.

It's a slowly dying religion that will last probably forever like an ancient rotted out tree.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"It's a slowly dying religion that will last probably forever like an ancient rotted out tree."

Spot on my friend. Spot on. Decades ago we had a real zeal because explanations at least truly seemed to make sense. We didn't know the day or hour....but my God......70 or 80 years from 1914 narrows it down quite a lot. We had a true purpose.

I think that since the generation debacle of 17 years ago.......the new generation (no pun intended) of witnesses lacks that zeal you talked about. I think that deep down in their hearts....a LOT of witnesses realize that the GB is shooting from the hip with no real aim. But because of mind control they simply go on believing. What other choice is there for them? Throw away a lifetime of cherished beliefs?

I liken it to being on a deserted island. Decades ago....the brothers were marching up and down the sand....setting off flares and smoke signals.....staying up all night to do so because of how confident they were that they were going to see a ship on the horizon. Now....the brothers are kind of huddled in a cave.....doing what they need to do to survive......holding out hope that a ship may come some day.....putting a smile on their faces to encourage others....but in their hearts....they fear that they will never leave this cave.

• N.drew
    N.drew

The difference is in the beginning they had hope, because they knew the light gets brighter and they believed they were drawing closer to God. They know God is love, so they believed they were multipling love. Now they know the god they worship has forsaken them but they won't admit it.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

In addition to what's been mentioned above, I think a big difference is that they are becoming much more black and white. Any shade of gray has turned black and bad as things that are considered a 'conscience matter' basically cease to exist. I also don't remember such shameless worship of the GB, particularly in the literature. Their pedastal is higher than it's ever been and the drumming of 'this isn't the GB talking to you, it's Jehovah talking to you' is sickening.

• minimus
    minimus

The people are miserable. They aren't the "happiest people on earth" anymore.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

In the "good old days", all the witnesses I knew read their bibles and actually studied for the meetings. Now I don't believe many even open their bibles except at the meetings and most don't use them in service. My son was made an elder recently and has never even read his bible, couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag in service, but is qualified to be an elder. What kind of witnesses will he foster? The same can be said of my daughters also.

• minimus
    minimus

The new generation of "servants" are simplt mindless zombies who adhere to the part line. These people do not think. They just do as they are told.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

The people are miserable. They aren't the "happiest people on earth" anymore.

Yet every witness....will inexplicably SAY that they are indeed happy. That is how they are SUPPOSED to feel so they convince themselves that they are happy being poor.....living in a crappy govt subsidized apartment.....being uneducated......and dealing with the constant stress that is heaped upon them by the borg

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Witnesses were a lot smarter back in the day. They would love to get a preacher at the door to try to show him up. They would actually discuss things. They would take you to the scriptures, as opposed to telling you "the slave" said this, or that.

• take me higher
    take me higher

One of the best things I've heard was someone who said 'I wish the witnesses would put down their watchtowers and antidepressants and get happy'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit