Read S. Hassan's Book: Do JW's really fit the cult mold?

by simon17 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    trouble seeing it as black and white as others

It isn't b&w Oz. Try going through the symptoms again, but this time rate them from 1 to 10.

On the first of the recent window dressing DVDs it was noted that in the Rutherford era too much emphasis was on the man. I can't be bothered trawling though it to find it again.

The WT has learned from experience that leaders die. In order to ensure continuity they formed the GB.

The R&F are required to tread the 'meat in due season' from the (singular) FDS as if it was coming from a single charismatic leader, so I don't see that the lack of one lets them off the hook.

Cheers

Chris

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Hi Chris

I do see the GB as 'one' charismatic leader.

They moved on from a single leader that can die as you said, and created an overlapping leader of sorts. As one part dies another is added. They have raised the concept of the governing body from the 1950s watchtowers to unit of charisma. Look at them smiling for photo's, signing bibles, being congenial in the DVDs not to mention the hights of worship and obedience demanded in the Watchtowers of today.

That is one part of the definition that i do think fits actually.

cheers mate

oz

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

They are a destructive cult. They use mind control techniques. They cause phobias. They destroy families.

• reslight2
    reslight2

While, by consent with the Board of Directors of the Watch Tower Society, Russell himself held control of the legal entity as a publishing service, that entity in his days was not used to control a religious organization such as "Jehovah's Witnesses". Russell did not believe in such an organization, and even preached against similar organizations. Many sought to exalt him to being something of a central authority, but he continuously refused to allow himself or the Watch Tower to become involved in any kind of rulership over local congregations or other Christians. He sought, by means of his will, as well as by the original charter of the Watch Tower Society, to keep that corporation becoming what it did become - after his death - at the hands of Joseph Rutherford. Rutherford, in effect, created a new religious organization with himself as its sole authority, something Russell consistently refused to do. By 1928, the vast majority of the Bible Students movement had rejected Rutherford's new organization, and continued their work as Bible Students; the main reason for the "new name" in 1931 was distinguish the Rutherford's followers from the general Bible Students movement that had rejected Rutherford's new organization.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I think its an interesting case because very little of the physical cult experience described in the book fits a typical witness (no physical isolation, no sleep deprivation, no public humiliations, they don't seem to have the right type of money hungry charismatic cult leader, no constant fundraising efforts, no chanting/hypnosis/etc, etc etc. Reading anyone of the many case studies in there fits what I would generally have pictured as a cult. The Witnesses don't fit any of that.I think its an interesting case because very little of the physical cult experience described in the book fits a typical witness (no physical isolation, no sleep deprivation, no public humiliations, they don't seem to have the right type of money hungry charismatic cult leader, no constant fundraising efforts, no chanting/hypnosis/etc, etc etc. Reading anyone of the many case studies in there fits what I would generally have pictured as a cult. The Witnesses don't fit any of that.

That fails in so many ways..

JW`s: keep to themselves unless they are preaching or going to work or school..

:are physically and mentally tired..

:Are humiliated on a daily basis Door to door or in WBT$ settings..

:The WBT$ is always asking for money..

:JW`s worship the WBT$ GB

:JW`s go to 5 meetings a week to listen to the same WBT$ crap over and over..

How did you possibly miss all that?..

.............................;-)...OUTLAW

• White Dove
    White Dove

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that JW religion is a cult.

I also notice the similarities of the cult description to the military.

The difference is that the military is performing a necessary job and couldn't be effective if it wasn't the way it is.

Also, there is an honorable way to leave it.

• simon17
    simon17

JW`s: keep to themselves unless they are preaching or going to work or school..

Which, if you read the book, is exactly the thing that S. Hassan says cults prohibit their members from doing.

:are physically and mentally tired..

Blah, thats a baseless overgeneralization. I know a lot of people who are stock-brokers or laywers or doctors who are a lot more exhuasted. And I know a lot of people who are more relaxed than the typical JW. And vice-versa.

:Are humiliated on a daily basis Door to door or in WBT$ settings..

Thats extremely weak. Its also not at all what Hassan was talking about in his book.

:The WBT$ is always asking for money..

Like any church. I would argue less than most churches. I have never personally been asked for money in my 30 years as a JW and no one ever knew if I contributed or not. That is very unlike the cult experiences that the book describes as universal among cults.

:JW`s worship the WBT$ GB

Well I'll disagree with you there as well. Most witnesses don't know who the GB are and wouldn't know them if they stumbled past them in the street. They are controlled to accept the GBs decrees, and hence I'm strongly inclined to say JWs are a high-control group. But the nature of this worship is nothing like what Hassan describes in his book as the nature of cult leaders

:JW`s go to 5 meetings a week to listen to the same WBT$ crap over and over..

Though more than most churches that time commitment is minimal compared to Hassan's descriptions in the book. And seriously...5 meetings? Lets drop that nonsense and note that its 2 meetings a week.

Again, I'm talking about the description of cults in S. Hassan's first book. Perhaps he's revised his notion and definiton of a destructive cult since then, and maybe Witnesses are best categorized as such. And I think everyone here would agree to their controlling nature. However, just because you don't like the organization doesn't mean that every cult related description must fit Witnesses in every way. We can still be rational and objective in our dislike.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Simon17..

Your post is one long excuse..

JW`s are Isolated..

Many many JW`s are on medication due to the stress..

Read about how many JW`s Step down from being an elder just from being worn out..

Right here on JWN..

"JW`s are humiliated at the door.."Get Off my Property!"

JW`s are humiliated at the Kingdom hall..

Sister your dress is too short..Brother your hair is too long..

JW`s your not doing enough..

So&so is on Public reproof..Which is anounced publicly..

Thats not humiliating?

I have never personally been asked for money in my 30 years as a JW..

Thats BS and you know it..

Money is asked from Kingdom Hall and Assembly Hall Stages all the time..

Who do you think their asking,your neighbour down the street or you?

Most witnesses don't know who the GB are and wouldn't know them if they stumbled past them in the street.

Who are JW`s taught to follow?..The FDS/WBT$ GB..

The FDS is Idolized whether JW`s know them personally or not..

And seriously...5 meetings? Lets drop that nonsense and note that its 2 meetings a week.

Lets count the Meetings..

Public talk..

WatchTower study..

Ministry school..

Service Meeting..

Book Study..

Thats 5 meetings whether some are held on the same day or not..

I know pre-schoolers who can count to 5..

What happens at those meetings?..The same message is repeated over and over..

..........................;-)...OUTLAW

• 00DAD
    00DAD

In his second book, Releasing the Bonds, Steven Hassan explicitly states that JWs fit the definition of a high-control cult.

Nevertheless, you might find this well documented post by ithinkisee to be informative:

Combatting Mind Control by Steve Hassan - with WT References

If that doesn't convince you JWs are a cult, nothing will. It's too late for you, you're completely gone!

• sabastious
    sabastious

OUTLAW :are physically and mentally tired..

simon17: Blah, thats a baseless overgeneralization. I know a lot of people who are stock-brokers or laywers or doctors who are a lot more exhuasted.

Simon, I mean no disrespect, but you are making the baseless overgeneralization here. Allow me to explain why I believe that.

Witnesses are tired because of the busywork that they impose upon themselves by swearing allegiance to the Watchtower. This includes but is not limited to Meetings, Field Service, Personal Study, a Game of Houses (internal cong affairs; members avoiding bloodguilt by being an inadvertent witness to gross sin), and all designed to be a consistent regimen of distraction. A distraction from what? What is behind the curtain? It's a rat wheel, my friend simon17, and what are rat wheels good for? Creating kinetic energy for the amount of time of the lifespan of the rat!

Stock-brokers and laywers actually can articulate why they do their busywork. They are part of ever evolving industries. What were the Witnesses doing 70 years ago? Proclaiming the end of the world. What are they doing now? And what is the answer to their critics? They recite their mission from God and will just spew rederick of ushering in his kingdom and remaining within his love and providing an answer to his enemies. That sounds more like Charles Manson then Jesus Christ. Your analogy is not just problematic, it's highly flawed.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit