1914 a 100 Years on.

by Twisty 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Twisty
    Twisty

I was thinking that in 2014 or possibly 2015 a lot of witnesses will start questioning the organisation and we might even see a mass exodus.

I know at a stage i thought 2014 wow a hundred years surely the end will be here by then.

Do you think the fact that it will be a 100 years since 1914 might trigger a lot of leaving and questions?

Or possibly they will still follow blindly, especially since the overlapping generations could go till 2070 or something?

There very well could be a mass exodus type of Domino effect since many are there sometimes whole families because of one strong mate/friend/relative, and one seemingly "strong" person leaving could take a few with him and make many more question, thus the domino effect.

Thoughts.

Twisty

• still thinking
    still thinking

I think it will be enough for some to see they are liers...but in the end it will just be like 1975...they will explain it away and those who don't want to know the truth or aren't ready to hear it will continue as if nothing happened.

It will just be a restructuring opportunity...new lies....new truth...new hope...new light...new reasons to make money

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The WT has never mentioned anything to make 2014 important and I'm sure they'll do some damage control first.

I think my lot has invested so much of their lives, made so many converts and abused and encouraged abuse to so many people that the implications of the WT being a load of cod's wallop is something they are frightened to contemplate.

I have seen cracks appearing in some of their converts, but that had nothing to do with 2014. That was the overlapping generations.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

I doubt 2014 will do anything different but what I do think is that JWs who are thinkers will surely now read this over lapping generation belief and see how it's been patched together to continue to blind.

Imagine, you go to the meetings one day believing one thing then you leave now believing another, surely to God that can't be right.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Seems to have already started some damage control with 'overlapping generations' and the dropping of the 1935 date for the sealing of the anointed. I feel that the organization will be remade to become more hardline, maybe smaller but with the members being fanatical......

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I always thought it WOULD trigger doubts and exodus. But as my thinking has gotten clearer post-Watchtower, I don't think it will have a great effect [though there may be some who will leave].

Unfortunately, those in a cult are blind to reality, and a slave to fantasy. I lived through 1975, and I recall very few who left over that. There should have been thousands who left - but not many did. The fact is that these people are under a form of mental control. They are unable to look at things from a logical perspective. 2014 might be one of those keystone moments for them - but it will probably not trigger a massive movement.

No wonder religion has been able to seduce billions! Look at all the countless people around willing to believe in invisible people doing invisible things without the first shred of evidence to support the suppositions they proffer. People want to believe, irregardless of the facts. JW's are no different. And they are a bit more tightly controlled than other sects.

Still, I hope something like that might occur - a domino effect. Time will tell.

Jeff

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think 2014 will reify the fact that NOTHING HAS HAPPENED FOR 100 YEARS! The overlapping, the new 607 articles are all part of a preemptive damage control effort. NO - nobody ever said the end would come by 2014. BUT, I think there will be quite a few who will reconsider the vailidity their beliefs. Can you really, honestly say to yourself, Well, here we go into the second century of Christ's invisible reign! How happifying! People will start waking up, and unlike 1975 or other watershed moments, the Internet is here to help with the answers.

• Jeffro
  • sir82
    sir82

If the WTS survived 1914, 1925, 1975, when far more explicit statements & predictions were made, how will 2014 make a difference?

The WTS will never "die" - it will, however, dwindle into (further) insignificance as the decades roll on. In another 50 or 60 years, it will be as obscure as the Christian Scientists, 7th Day Adventists, Quakers, etc.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

JEFFRO - thanks for the link to your comment on the other thread- I missed that one for some reason. I think a proclamation of "the great trib has begun" could be quite likely, an simply by the fact that the WT has nurtured a group of people completely devoid of the skills needed to survive in modern society, they would easily believe the trib is upon them.

SIR82 - no, there has been no date set for 2014, but that isn't the point. I could be naive or even overly hopeful, but I know for ones like myself, the idea of passing into THE SECOND CENTURY OF CHRIST'S PRESENCE is going to make a few wonder. There really is no difference between 2014 or 2013 or 2011-- it's all psychological, but in the end, I think it is a significant milestone in people's minds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit